Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange foamy substance on lavender plants

Posted by suebee_2007 wa (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 07 at 17:12

I am very puzzled by this. I recently noticed a very strange white foamy substance on my lavender plants. I first thought it is sap/secretion from a tree, but it is on all the lavender plants. Looks like white foamy saliva -- yuck. Does not seem to be hurting the plants in a serious way, but I must say, I have never seen this before. These lavender hidcote bushes have been in the ground for 3 years and this is the first time I have seen this. Any ideas/clues?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange foamy substance on lavender plants

Sounds like spittle bug to me! You can just hose them off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spit bug

o

I agree with heathen1. They're very common on lavender for some reason. I've never seen enough on one plant to do it serious damage, but they can distort the stem they're on, so if you want the maximum flowers from your plants, get rid of the bugs.

o

Spittle bugs....don't just hose them off, squish the bug that's in the center of the foam.

o

Could it not be frog sperm?

o

Hose them off well and use some form of organic pesticide i use Pyrethrum

o

No need for the pesticides....just use a hose and your fingers. Pyrethrins and pyrethrums are pretty toxic broad spectrum pesticides.

o

Wow that is strange I came here tonight to post a question about the same "spit" only its on my rosemary plants that are also well established...
these were all over the plants (5 of them) I have grapes growing very near them should I be worried about the grapes?
Thanks for any help

o

Spray the grapes with neem and they should be fine. Grapes usually have only disease issues, but bugs do chew the leaves too. Sometimes these 'spits' are insect eggs and will hatch soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here