Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Parsley - starting indoors vs. outdoors

Posted by pdxmark 8/9 (My Page) on
Thu, May 7, 09 at 17:27

I sowed parsley seeds outside 4-6 weeks ago, and after some careful nursing they have mostly sprouted and seem to be starting their first real leaves. Despite starting most things indoors, I started the parsley outside because my indoor starting area was full at the time.

A couple spots in my outdoor parsley bed were looking like they didn't take, so about a week ago I started a few more seeds indoors on my heat mat to fill-in the holes outside. They're already beginning to sprout. I think my outdoor parsley would be a 2-3 weeks ahead of where it is now if I'd had room to start it indoors...

We'll see if the indoor starts survive transplanting outside, but the start indoors seems much, much faster than outside.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Parsley - starting indoors vs. outdoors

In your zone, right now you can directly sow them in the garden. But parsleys like cooler weather. I consider them cool crop. I started mine in cold fram in February. I am in zone 7/8 GA. I have had one harvest so far. I chpped and freezed them. I am practical about herbs. I plant them for consumption not just for show. I have a parsley-like herb called "chervil". I found the seeds by accident in a dollar store. It is a french favorite in place of parsley. It has tiny fern-like leaves and grows fast and taller than parsley.
If you like parsley you should also plant some chervil.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sun, May 17, 09 at 14:24

My parsley is going to seed. It's definitely a cool season herb down here.

o

Starting parsley indoors vs. outdoors...I always start my parsley in situ outdoors. It produces later than indoor starts but I always have good luck with it outdoors. The one caveat is that about the time you are ready to replant that area with something else because you are sure this was a failure is when the parsley comes up.

Patience, Little Grasshopper, the parsley will come up.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here