Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple fungus on sage seedlings

Posted by nsomniak6 z5 or 6 CT (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 17:36

SO this the first time I have ever tried planting plants in the ground and i have a small area esp for herbs. I threw some sage seeds in an area and although there are definitely some sage growing, there is also another seedling growing only in the area I put the sage in. If that wasn't odd enough, the "other" seedlings started developing a purple fungus looking thing on them. It looks a little like how mold looks on bread but a deep bright purple. I have pulled all that I can find but it keeps coming back and spreading to the sage also. Does anyone have any idea what this sounds like?

Thanks,
Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple fungus on sage seedlings

Need a close up color photo!

o

Here's the pic:

From Online Edits

o

This is one of the plants commonly known as pigweed. This is a common coloration of that plant and not a fungus so would not be spreading to sage. What kind of sage did you plant? Some do have a purple coloration.

o

The sage may take longer to sprout than the weed seeds already in to soil. I've direct sown sage with good results. Just have some patience.

The plant in your picture, I've always called it "Lamb's Quarters." Others may call it "pigweed." That's the thing with common names, there are a lot of different ones for the same plant. It is a common weed as maifleur notes. Its botanical name is Chenopodium album.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamb's Quarters

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here