Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fatamorgana2121

Anything new in the herb garden this year?

fatamorgana2121
13 years ago

Is there anything new in your herb garden this year? Here's something new from mine.....

A few years back, I planted some maralroot (Leuzea carthamoides 'Lujza') seed. I got two plants out of that and this is the first year one has decided to bloom:

It has rather interesting, toothed foliage as well:

The plant is an interesting medicinal herb from Russia. For those in the Frozen North, this plant is hardy to zone 2!

I got the seeds from Richters and those curious about the medicinal properties can read more about it on their maralroot page.

Anyone else have anything new?

FataMorgana

Comments (6)

• rainypnw
    13 years ago

New for us is Green Shiso (Japanese basil), lemon balm, and lemongrass (in a container).

Not really an herb of course, but we also have horseradish in a large tub this year as well.

RainyPNW

Here is a link that might be useful: My 2010 Garden Blog - please check it out!

• batyabeth
    13 years ago

That's a very interesting herb Fata, wouldn't you need large amounts of root (effectively killing the plant) to make useful medicine? That's what I always wonder about root herbs.
    For me, Calendula is new this year, and it's scraggly and stubborn, but alive and somewhat flowering. I'm saving the deadheaded flowers, tucking them away until I get a good fistful. A new lavender, small and in a pot, next year it will be useful. Wormwoood is new for me this year, again, scraggly but alive. The Syrian oregano (za'atar) died and needs to be replaced. The scented geranium is still small, but will grow. Most are in pots for a change, as the most important thing I need to grow is compost and good soil, sorely lacking in the new house of 1 year. The lemon verbena is happier than I expected. Basil is, of course, my nemesis, alive but........ The yarrow, my first year for it, will bloom next year I reckon, too. Potted rosemary will be happier in the ground, but doing fine, and so is the mint, and a small medicinal sage that will soon need re-potting it's so happy.
    Flowers are a different subject, but with the same struggles, small and stubborn. We are saving water - a serious problem here - from the showers in the morning and the drip from air conditioners; together we nearly never have to open the hose. I crave more. More herbs, more flowers, more decent, living dirt, more everything. Sigh.
    Batya

• fatamorgana2121
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Have to agree on the root herbs. I only harvest root herbs from those things that I have planted expressly for that purpose or from those things that I have to get rid of (like the dandelions in the vegetable beds). I planted the maralroot because I wanted to know more about maralroot. While I've learned about herbs and plants from other people, books, classes, apprenticeships, and more, I'm a big believer in learning from the plants themselves. Grow them. Find them growing in their native habitats. See, smell, touch and taste (only some!) them. See how they grow and what they need. I think it gives you a little broader understanding of the medicine they have to offer and how to use it. I'm not sure what the maralroot has taught me yet but I have found it to be a patient plant, slow but steady - perhaps the herb works this way too. It likes average water, average soil. Unbothered by insects. Pretty undemanding and a fine flower or herb garden plant if you have patience.

Good luck with the calendula. It is one of my favorites. And if you only have a small amount planted, keep collecting and drying those blooms. Slowly you'll have enough for my favorite thing to do with them, make salve. You only need olive oil, beeswax, and the blossoms. I use it for all manner of chapped and sore skin and lips.

FataMorgana

• cyrus_gardner
    13 years ago

I tried lemon balm, lemon verbena and stevia in my herbs garden last year.
    But due to space limitation, I remove them to somewhere else, because they are fast and
    agressive growers. Instead, this year I am trying some ornamental peppers.

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

There are several new thymes on the market that are verigated. I have a friend that breeds varigated plants and I think I have been bitten by the varigation bug.

• batyabeth
    13 years ago

Oh! Forgot to add rue to the list. I was given two young plants, and have re-potted them. Anyone know the particulars? I think I remember that they can grow into a nice bush about a meter high with pinkish flowers. Part shade (esp. here) would be ok, I'm wagering, and the poor, rocky soil with compost should do the trick, unless I miss my guess. Bitter smell, strong medicinal, lovely plant, right?