Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peppermint - Please, Help A Beginner In Distress!

Posted by ashleighv none (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 17:49

Morning all,
I am having a bit of dilemma with a wee Peppermint plant I purchased through a small mail-order company.
My Peppermint seems to have had a break out, it looks like it has tiny little whitehead pimples on the underside of some leaves & browny splotches on the upperside like the leaves are bruised?
As a newbie I am constantly questioning if I am doing things right & if my plants are healthy,
I don't have very wide vocabulary when it comes to "gardening" so thought if I described as if the plant was human & accompanied my description with some images then it would more helpful :)
The overall plant is in good health (I presume) with dark green shiny leaves but just some of the leaves closer to the soil are breaking out with this condition :(
Any advice would be greatly appreciated or suggestions for a treatment.
Thank you,
Ashleigh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peppermint - Please, Help A Beginner In Distress!

I am afraid I can't give you much advice as to what it is, but I would at the very least cut the affected leaves and stems off and dispose of them.

o

They look like hard-shell aphids. I agree, cut off any infested leaves quickly.

o

I agree with the aphid diagnosis. Cutting off the affected leaves will help contain quite the infestation, but if your plant is small, you may not want to strip it completely right after ordering/transplanting. Mint is hard to kill, but it is probably already pretty stressed. Aphids can also simply be washed off with straight water, or a very light dish soap solution. The soap helps kill eggs. You may have to rub the leaves a little to help rid the eggs off. If those don't work, I also use neem oil to organically control aphid and whitefly outbreaks on my indoor potted herbs (they love my lemon verbena and scented geraniums). I just wait a bit before using after I've sprayed them. If the plant is outdoors-ladybugs love aphids. You can try to import some onto your plant.

o

Thank you all for your responses :) They are so helpful, I have clipped the affected leaves & he seems quite happy, I thought it may have had something to do with the wet soil splashing up onto the leaves so I scattered a bit of barley straw around him to keep the plant leaves off the soil :P How do I make a soap solution for future reference? Thank you again

o

Just a little squirt (drop or two) of dish soap in a spray bottle of water.

o

For small plants in pots it is possible to hold the plant at an angle under the tap and gently wash the leaves with your fingers. That way you can get to both sides of the leaves. You need to keep your other hand over the top of the pot to keep the soil from falling out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here