Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margowicz

best way get cuttings rooted

margowicz
10 years ago

can anyone please tell me the best way to root cuttings I have tried to root sage rosemary mint thyme and none seam to grow I have been using peat pots with john innes seed compost but nope none root die first I have them in a propagtor with a heat mat under it it stays around the 60 mark 19ish in english I been using strike rooting powder

I been told not to use water as the roots there are not develped and will instantly die when transplanted any help please thanks

Comments (9)

• gjcore
    10 years ago

I've had mixed luck with sage but mint and thyme should be fairly easy. Rosemary usually isn't too tough but sometimes not all of them survive for me. I think one of the important things is to get the the right size cutting and trim the right proportion of leaves. Still working on that myself. Seems about 65% stem and 35% leaves left. As far as the original size of the cutting I'm still working on that but about 3.5 inches seems best.

I would use plastic containers instead of peat pots. Much easier to keep consistent moisture.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not use water".

• margowicz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

not use water like in a hydro ponics link is the best pics I could find

Here is a link that might be useful: water root

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have rooted many cuttings, many times in water successfully. This year I did with store bought shiso and basils. I have alread planted them after rootin in water.

I put the glass, in which I am rooting, wher it gets plenty of indirect sun light. Right now I am trying oregano and french tarragon.

There is a chemical also for this purpose , made by Schultz, I think. I use that before but my success rate in water rooting has been bette.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Rosemary roots well in water. It takes about a month to get roots. I grew my sage and thyme from seeds. I never tried to take cutting of them. I always misted my cuttings daily and watered them once a week. Keep the shade. I hope this helps!

• margowicz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this what I need to know with the two....

when you use the compost what works best a multi purpose something like mc cains (think that how spelt) or is it something like john innes I mean is there much difference?

another question with the cuttings in compost what do you water the leaves stem or the soil and how much 2 3 4 sprays a sprayer till water comes out of bottom pot or maybe even water it from bottom up?

and the water rooting do you use a certain fertilzer with it such as liquid seaweed or all purpose and do you use a root growth hormone?

A big thank you

• gjcore
    10 years ago

While you can use compost or potting mix for cuttings I usually use a sterile seed starting mix.

I generally don't need to water too much when I start cuttings. I leave the humidity dome on 24 hours to start and then after about 10 days start giving more time with the dome off. Mostly just misting is needed.

I use Age Old fertilizer and if that runs out I will use Miracle Grow very diluted. I almost always use Green Light rooting hormone .

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

Rosemary, sage and mint can be just stuck in soil. Just keep the soil moist and they will do find by themselves.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

margowicz,

in water rooting I just use plain tap water, NO fertilizer.
    Whe water goes down, I would add some more. I dont even change the water

HOW TO PREPARE FOR WATER ROOTING?

I will give you my method bor basil.
    == get very fresh looking stems.
    == pinch off all big leaves leaving 3 o4 at the top. With a sharp knif cut from bottom , half an inch or more. Now you end up with a stem that is roughly 6 to 8 inches.
    == immediate after cutting put it in the water

== I usually do not mist. But fine misting once or twice a day should be fine, if you place is too loww in humidity
    ==== DONE....until you see roots of 1/4" length (about).
    Now comes planting:
    Just like hardening up greenhouse seedling, you have to do the same wit your cutting. So I plant them in seeds starter type of soil( one per 3" pot) and harden them up.
    watering and misting should be done, as needed.
    Soon you should notice some new growth. Once the roots are established and hardened up, tranplant into garden

The instruction here might sound lengthy here but what actually is done is very simple.

• margowicz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks I just want make one thing clear.... I should not use a rooting hormone either?

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living