Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much sun & water for sweet basil?

Posted by river_crossroads 8b Central Louisiana (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 18:27

Hi, I'm new here. Can I plant my sweet basil seedlings behind my wax begonias or does basil need more water? Or would it be better to put the sweet basil seedlings near my rosemary? I've read that basil needs full sun in cooler zones. The basil will be in a flower bed near my concrete patio, where it was 110F, 43C, on the concrete last summer. Would my full sun be too much for basil? Rosemary needs partial shade here. Thanks so much!!!

Picture of bronze leaved pink begonias (geraniums died during the winter):

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much sun & water for sweet basil?

Put the basil near the rosemary. It can take the full blast of the sun for as many hours of the day as the sun shines. It can take plenty of water, but the drainage must be excellent.

Of course, a baby plant will need to be hardened off gradually to take the hot conditions. I'm talking about a mature plant.

o

Thanks, Daisy. The basil seedlings have been outside in the shade for weeks. For hardening off, I think I need to put them in the sun for 30 min a day if possible, & increase the time until they are in sun all day. Is that right? Thanks so much for your help!

o

My basil thrives in full sun here in Savannah. It does need water in the summer or it will wilt, but a good drink brings it back again. Also, it will self-seed vigorously if you let it. (At least it has for me.)

o

I'd be surprised if the begonia does well in the hot, sunny location! I've seen them planted in such sites, but have never seen happy ones. (Just wondering....)

o

Mgpaquin, wow, I didn't know that they self-seeded. Thanks, great! Rhizo, I'm really a beginner who is very successful with a few plants & that's it. My own experience is that the bronze leaved begonias have a longer range, they will bloom in less sun & be happy in more sun that the more fragile green leaved begonias. Still the ones in the picture will not take full sun here, nor will rosemary. Comments here help me because when the basil is hardened off I will put it next to the rosemary & give it good drinks. Tomorrow I will try to put my SunCalc sun meter next to the begonias & report back tomorrow night.

o

rhizo_1, you asked about heat, sun and my begonias.

I notice now that my picture must be from early May 2009, because the green at the top is the bud of the walking iris (see link to pics on my page). Begonias probably took more sun at that cooler temp. Today was 91 F, 32.8 C, & the begonias look tired & ready to have the patio awning pulled over them for the summer. Intermittent boiling sun & pouring rain today & predicted for several days. No way to get accurate reading on SunCalc, sorry.

I once saw bonze leaf begonias in Houston at a La Quinta Motel, roasting in the sun between sections of the hot parking lot & looking happy. They looked like mine but the leaf had a slightly different shape. Thanks for your interest!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here