Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with identifying herb or weed?

Posted by nvg256 NY (My Page) on
Wed, May 10, 06 at 18:47

Here is a picture of them:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/chicny/DSC01302.jpg

I found them growing in the yard of a house I just moved into, and do not know what they are. Thanks ahead of time. Tell me if you need to pics.

Kev

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with identifying herb or weed?

Looks like mainly weeds and one plant in the allium family (garlic vs chives vs onion)

o

I could SWEAR it's a violet or relative, but I didn't answer in the Name It forum, for fear of being wrong. If it is, it explains the spreading.

o

I have always been told it was wild geranium. It gets a small yellow flower on it. It is a real nusiance and will overtake your yard or any area it is in. I consider it a weed.

o

If it flowers blue / violet around this time of year, spreads like mad via runners and is fine in both sun and shade, it could be ground ivy. If it is - any you'd definitely want to know for sure - it makes a nice tea though it's really a weed and will take over darn near anywhere if you let it.

If it's got a deep taproot and shows up in clumps rather than connected as with runners, I'd guess henbit though the leaves seem a bit far from the stem.

o

It looks like henbit.

o

yeah... I think it's henbit.... I am very wrong.

o

Anyone know what this is? My dog loves it and I'd like to know what it is. I've dug some from outside the patio and brought it inside so it won't get sprayed by bug killers or weed killers. It has a succulent stem and small leaves a bit heart shaped or palm shaped.

o

Got a photo you can post? It makes ID's much easier.

FataMorgana

o

can't upload, I hit browse and it gets the photo but there is no download button...? what do I do next?

o

ok think I got it, this is a little plant my dog loves and I'd like to know what it is, feel sure it's an herb of some kind, she scrounges around everybody's gates to find it.
any help much appreciated!
gerrywalker

o

Almost looks like an Impatiens which has just about survived the winter. For future reference, gerrywalker, it would be best to start your own thread if you have a new question. People often don't bother to open up long dead threads. There is also a Name that Plant Forum which will help you with ids.

o

I cannot tell for sure but it does look like fox-herb and my dog also seems to love to eat the plant. If it is then it will mostly only grown in the shade does not seem to do well in our full sun but will produce good ground cover where not much else will grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here