Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shapiro_gw

Allergy to rue

shapiro
14 years ago

I love the rue (ruta graveolens, not meadow rue) in our garden. Beautiful plant plus it is a host for the black swallowtail butterfly. But after many years of handling it without trouble, suddenly I am allergic to it. The allergy comes out similar to poison ivy but lasts much longer than a bout of poison ivy.

Has anyone else had any allergy experience with this?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

I've heard of people having a sensitivity to it but haven't known any. I'd suggest putting it in a spot where you will have little contact with it - can see it but don't have to fiddle around or weed next to it.

FataMorgana

• eibren
    14 years ago

When I was first researching herbs, I came across a comment that it can be toxic. I never tried to use it for anything except decoration in the herb bed because of that. It is a pretty backdrop to other plants, though, and possibly protects them(?)

• eibren
    14 years ago

Here is some information from an aromatherapy site about the essential oil of rue:
    "Rue essential oil information

Rue essential oil is extracted from Ruta graveolens of the Rutaceae family and is also known as garden rue and herbygrass.

Oil properties
    Rue is a hazardous oil, is toxic and a skin and mucus membrane irritant, is abortifacient, phototoxic and neurotoxic.

Origin of rue oil
    A native of Europe, it is an ornamental, shrubby herb with a strong, aromatic, bitter or acrid scent and has tough, woody branches and small, smooth, bluish-green leaves. Mustard-yellow, fringed 4-petalled flowers appear in summer, followed by 4-lobed capsules.

In ancient medicine, the herb was a favored remedy as an antidote to poison and was seen as a magic herb by many cultures and as a protection against evil. It was used for nervous afflictions, digestive problems and hysterics.

Rue essential oil is considered toxic, an abortifacient, an irritant to the mucus membranes, a neurotoxin, and causes sun sensitivity due to photo toxicity.

Extraction
    Rue oil is extracted from the fresh herb by steam distillation.

Chemical composition
    The main chemical components are 2-nonanone, 2-nonyl acetate, 2-undecanone, 2-butanone, psoralen, bergaptene and xanthotoxin.

Precautions
    Rue essential oil should not be used in aromatherapy as it is a hazardous oil that can burn and irritate the skin."
    http://www.essentialoils.co.za/essential-oils/rue.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Aromatherapy Site

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

Allergy or sensitivity to rue is very common.

Warning: Avoid use when pregnant. Taking the essential oil internally can lead to abortion. Handling the plant, especially when in bloom, can cause skin irritation. To minimise this risk, wait until the plant has dried out or the sun has gone behind cloud cover: alternatively, wear gloves. Large doses may cause vomiting, interfere with the liver function and in rare cases can be fatal. Rue interacts negatively with blood-thinning medications. Ingestion of rue may prolong blood coagulation time. Do not boil rue. Do not use in large quantities. Do not use for more than 6 weeks at a time. Avoid if suffering from haemorrhagic diseases or peptic ulcers. May cause photosensitivity.

• sandifoley67_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

A picture would be helpful.

• Daisyduckworth
    12 years ago

Dear old Mr Google has lots of images.

Here is a link that might be useful: rue