Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spearmint Variety Advice

Posted by mintguy83 Missouri (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 18:51

I had three indoor spearmint plants that were overtaken by some sort of bug that they must have brought home from the nursery. Now, I am planning to replant the spearmint from a different, non-infested nursery.

I have been doing some reading, and it seems there are different types of spearmint.

Apparently before I had "curly spearmint" (mentha spicata v. crispa). My new plant nursery carries "Kentucky Colonel Spearmint' (mentha spicata) and there is apparently a third type of "plain spearmint" (also mentha spicata). Which type should I plant? I plan to mostly make Mojitos with this mint. I already have Peppermint, chocolate mint, and "mojito mint" (mentha x villosa).

Which spearmint variety is best for making drinks? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spearmint Variety Advice

From the name, I would suspect "Mojito mint" would probably work best, but I think "Kentucky Colonel" should be good, also going by the name. I've seen it, and it has a nice fragrance.

Some varieties seem to grow better in some conditions than others. If you want a good stand of spearmint, you might want to ask your nurseryman which one grows best in your area. In general, my experience with herbs has been that the fancier varieties (eg. curly, varegated, etc.) are not as vigorous, and tend to lose their essential characteristics (fragrance and flavor) to some extent.

I always lightly pinch a bottom leaf of any variety I am considering purchasing, as well, to check fragrance. Some shipments of herbs seem to have herbs with more fragrance than others. Fragrance and flavor are not always the same thing, though.

Good luck with the chocolate mint. I've never been able to get it to winter over--don't know if it needs moister soil than I have provided or if it's just not winter hardy for me.

:o/

o

I grow about 15 or so varieties of mints, including three "spearmints". My favourite is Moroccan Tea Mint (I am afraid I do not know the botanical name). It has a very intense spearmint perfume and flavour. Although it has struggled for me down here on the plains, it grows quite well in the hills near here, where it is cooler and wetter.
Chocolate mint does require a bit more water, and a bit more coddling than many of the other varieties.

o

Richters has quite a robust Mint page. Check out some of the descriptions and see what you think might work.

I like mint in hot drinks (i.e tea) so I can't comment on what's best for iced drinks. But I know the Westerfield mints have interesting flavors and aromas that many people like. See the Richters page linked in above for those.

Come back and let us know what mints worked for you in drinks. :)

FataMorgana

o

I would vote for the KY Colonel of those three. Very good for juleps! I have mojito mint too, which I do use for mojitos (more because I can than because it actually tastes better-- they're all good!).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here