Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Lemongrass Return?

Posted by jill_b_jones 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 18:59

I grew a HUGE lemongrass plant last year and the clump is still there but I see no new growth. We've had a cool spring thus far so I wonder if it will have to get warmer to sprout or would our winter have killed it? I cut it way back in hopes that would kick start the growth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Lemongrass Return?

From ehow.com:

Lemon grass is native to South and Southeast Asia and Australia. It is grown commercially in India and the United States and is familiar to American palates because of its use in Indian, Thai and Vietnamese cooking. While lemon grass thrives in American gardens during the summer, it will only overwinter where temperatures remain above 25 degrees Fahrenheit all year.

Read more: Does Lemon Grass Come Back Every Year? : eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8475165_lemon-grass-come-back-year.html#ixzz2Sj6HqV9z

o

Lemon grass is easy to start from cuttings. Living where it freezes or heavy frost they should be cut just above the roots and stored in your crisper until your weather warms back up. I bought mine from the produce department in our local grocery store. They were half brown and all I did was find a few places for them and stuck them into soil in all different places in my yard some locations did not ever get any more water other than when it rained, some were in complete shade all grew just fine. So this spring I gave a lot away to friends. One lady left her cuttings laying out for a couple weeks before planting them so I told her to just stick them in soil. They are doing fine also. If you can find any green on them they should come back when it warms up in your area.

This post was edited by wally-1936 on Tue, May 21, 13 at 8:09

o

I have grown lemongrass for the last 4 years, in zones 8(GA and WA) but it did not return.

But it is easy to grow it by rooting store bought . Just cut out top half(use it as you wish) and put tha bottom half in a glass half filled with water and keep it some where in you kitchen with indirect light.
Once it is rooted, plant it in your garden. You can buy a bunch of them from any Asian market for about a buck.

Never bother starting from seeds that might take for ever.

o

I have the same question! My lemon grass is cut all the way back and hasn't grown yet, but it has an awesome root system so I haven't given up.

o

well, if you know its root system is alive, just leave it. see what happens

Where in Zone 8 are you located ?

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, May 23, 13 at 3:02

o

Oregon, about an hour from Portland. After a few weeks of 85 degree cloudless sky to start off our spring, there are now parts of Oregon with freshly fallen snow... so it's hard for me to keep from worrying about my new plants. I'm sure you can relate in Washington!

o

Well, we in Washington, Seattle area had a week or so of summer like weather. But then it got cold and nasty. We have been seeing night lows of 40 to 45 and day highs of 53 to 60F, mostly cloudy and damp.

The long term forecast, also not very promising, but shows some improvement on low temperatures side getting closer to 50F, which can help tomatoes, peppers, cukes..etc to start growing again.

o

Yeah, that's about what we're going through down here. It doesn't help that I'm new to having my own garden. It's only been a few years that I've had the opportunity and I may be giving my plants a little too much love for fear of losing all that time and money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here