Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird Cilantro

Posted by Phildeez none (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 19:56

I got some cilantro starters from a local Ace, it was some very strange cilantro and it looks more like Dill or something but smells and tastes like great Cilantro. I lost the tag that it came with and I cannot turn up what it is called? It said slow to bolt and I am trying to look into that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird Cilantro

if it looks like dill it's probably already bolting...

o

It is, in fact, bolting over the last few days. But it never looked like cilantro and I got them as tiny starters, it has the leaf structure of Dill or Fennel or something and every person that I show it to is amazed to taste Cilantro plain and clear, most agree it has a lime zest and actually tastes very good. That is why I'm trying to remember what it was, wish I had not lost that tag.

o

There is a Coriander (Cilantro) variety called 'Confetti'. Do you think that is what you have? I've stopped growing it as I don't find it yields as much for me as the flat leaf type.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coriander 'Confetti'

o

Flora, you nailed it! Also, I was thinking the same things about the leaves, far less foliage overall. However, it seems to be immune to the spider mites that are trashing my flat leaf cilantro :(

o

It sounds like Coriandrum sativum 'Delfino' a/k/a 'Delfino' Cilantro to me. I grow it down here in south Texas. It looks like dill, but it is cilantro. One that is alleged to bolt slower than the regular cilantro.

o

Yep, that is the one, ltcollins. I managed to get back to the store yesterday and see the tag, it said "Delfino." It does say slow to bolt, but mine bolted fairly quickly, and all of the ones they were selling had already bolted!

o

Glad you found it.

Quite a good list of coriander varieties at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coriander/cilantro

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here