Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Santolina smell bad or good?

Posted by neshanicguy 6a (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 08 at 20:45

I'm considering filling a boxwood edged bed with Santolina but I just read somewhere that it smells bad - like campo phenique. Please let me know BEFORE I buy alot plants and then regret it.

The area is full sun, the soil was originally clay but has been amended alot and is starting to look better. I'd like something with a scent if possible. Lavender has been a hit / miss with me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Santolina smell bad or good?

Maybe thyme?

o

To me, santolina has a slightly medicinal smell which I do not find offensive. Go to a nursery, sniff a pot of santolina and see what you think.

o

For scented foliage you could try: sage, thyme, oregano, lavender, bee balm, mint, lemon balm, catnip, and more. It all depends what you are looking for.

It was a good suggestion to find some santolina some place and smell it for yourself. Everyone is different when it comes to scents. What works for one doesn't work for another. I was having a discussion about boxwood with co-workers the other day. One lady liked it alot and another was in the same camp I was - not liking it and thinking it smelled like cat pee. Since you seem happy with your boxwood, I'm guessing it doesn't smell that way to you so maybe what smells good to me might not be your cup of tea.

FataMorgana

o

You are right. I should try to find some - even if just to satiate my curiosity. I already grow lavender, sage, thyme and oregano. I was hoping to try something different. I had always heard that bee balm was invasive. Is that the case?

o

Bee Balm, nah. I wouldn't consider it invasive at all. If it is happy, it will spread but then many perennials will spread a bit if they are very happy with a location. It is a wonderful and pretty native plant.

FataMorgana

o

I love Santolina, I find the smell very soothing as well as pretty. Mine is in blossom right now and it is just gorgerous

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here