Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
French Lavender Stems Turning Brown At The Bottom

Posted by elysemarie 6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 20:58

Hi,

Today I bought 2 French Lavender plants. In the lighting of the greenhouse I noticed that the base of the stems were brown but it didn't seem too bad. When I got it home and had a good look at the plants, though, they looked a lot worse than I originally thought. Maybe it was the lighting or my optimism that blinded me from seeing it at first.

I've never grown lavender before. Is this something that is normal, that can be fixed with good care, or should I return them for some more healthy plants?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: French Lavender Stems Turning Brown At The Bottom

Lavender is really more of a mini shrub, similar to sage and rosemary. It does develop woody base stems, and some can get rather thick. I think your plants look fine, but my lavender didn't survive the winter and it's newer to me so I'm not an expert on that one.

o
RE: French Lavender Stems Turning Brown At The Bottom

As balloonflower says, Lavender is a shrub and will naturally go woody at the base. I'd get them out of those plastic pots asap. As you do it you can rub off any loose brown leaves and that will let more air into the base of the plants. They look to me as if they have been kept rather crowded, a little lacking in light and probably pushed on with fertilisers to get a larger plant for sale. The kinked and pale stems show that. They need to be grown airy and a little lean to toughen them up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here