Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alabamanicole

Need a couple of ideas

alabamanicole
11 years ago

Slowly but surely I've re-landscaped my house, predominantly with edible plants. The beds are huge, and I have two more spots for clumps of plants and I am just out of ideas. I don't absolutely need culinary or medicinal herbs here, but that is my preference.

The plants will be next to each other, and nearby companions are Purple Sage (Salvia officianalis), Florence Lavender, "Dittany of Crete" oregano, Artemsia "Powis Castle", "Tuscan Blue" rosemary, "Double Pink" knockout roses and purple loropetalum. I can't repeat any look-alikes here.

Both need to be evergreen in zone 7 and can take the hot southern summers in full southern exposure sun. Clay loan soil with good drainage (on a fairly steep slope.) They need to have green foliage in a "cool" tone that isn't silvery or purple -- these are backup singers, not superstars. Neither needs to have noticeable blooms, but if they do they need to be white/pink/blue/purple and ideally would bloom in the early spring or late fall. No mints or other invasives.

Plant 1: 12-18" high, preferably ~12". I have thought of some sort of thyme, but they tend to get ugly and sprawling here even if trimmed.

Plant 2: 18-24" high, preferably ~18", with a mounding habit. I have thought of another oregano but I need something that mounds more like the purple sage... but isn't a sage. This plant will be in the front right up near the edging, so it needs to be somewhat tidy. Yarrow is too tall and floppy for this spot.

Any ideas?

Comments (7)

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

What about Rosemary? If kept trimmed it will stay within the range you desire, some are bushes some ramble and some are just small compact little plants. You will need to be sure they can survive in your area. Try checking with you local extension agent.

• alabamanicole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I already have 4 rosemary right near there; that much more space full of rosemary would be overkill. Yes, they survive here, and get HUGE. I don't think the prostrate rosemaries that stay low survive here; I had considered them in another spot.

Just to add one more I can't do -- chives. I'm deathly allergic.

I am reconsidering thyme or one of the greener colored diathus for the low spot. I'm still stumped for ideas on the larger one for something that's evergreen.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

For the low one would Santolina virens grow in your area? The flowers are lemon yellow but if sheared over before bloom it will stay a nice fresh green dome. Iberis sempervirens would fulfil the same role and has white flowers.

Or some white bearded iris - that would give you a contrast to the blobby shape of most of the other plants and they like similar conditions to the Mediterranean herbs. (There is a herbal link via Orris root). Libertia grandiflora would perform a similar visual function, but not the herbal one.

Or some of the many hardy geraniums. The flowers are edible.

• agmss15
    11 years ago

Hypericum - either the ornamental or the herb.

• alabamanicole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Flora_UK -- I have all of those plants you mentioned in the same bed (although on the other side.) Except Libertia grandiflora -- that looks like a good option if I find an empty spot in the bed as it grows up.

agmss15 - I like St. John's Wort a lot except that it's terribly invasive here. And it has yellow flowers.

I spent the afternoon nursery-hopping and ended up with silver-edged thyme and "Mr Goodbud" autumn stone crop. After getting them home, both look good in the bed. I ended up swapping their spots, though, and decided I need once more Provence Lavender and another shrub -- possibly another Ruby Loropetalum but maybe a dwarf white crepe myrtle.

*sigh* And I thought I was done! Well, at least until something does or a I decide I don't like it!.

Thanks for the suggestions. After a while your brain just can't pick one more plant!

• planatus
    11 years ago

I have a 10-year old Pink Knockout that dominates her space. Underplanted perennials that have been successful include Party Girl Japanese anemone, lysimachia (chartreuse turkey vine) and some new large-flowered St. John's wort, which are staying put and doing very well.

Garlic chives and feverfew like to grow in that bed, too, and both make nice accents as long as I don't forget to deadhead and end up with a gazillion seedlings.

• eibren
    11 years ago

I would like to advocate for a sunny, well drained spot for white horehound, just because it is good for bronchial conditions. (Black horehound is purely ornamental, and apparently somewhat poisonous.)

It is a modest plant with pretty little furry leaves, and can perennialize in my zone, so probably yours as well.