Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnflowerlover

Rosemary in a raised bed

I am trying to grow rosemary for my dh. We got some transplanted from his mom's HUGE plant, but it died (I think because it was basically soaking in water for 24-36 hours...I found out they do not like much water). I have some questions:

1) I assume after 30 days of dryness/dying with no new leaf growth/no new green color...it's dead, right?

2) I have a small rosemary plant in the backyard, but it is now shaded. I am thinking of moving it up front so it can get a lot more sun. It would end up in a raised six inch bed (which has weed block cover underneath, so no deeper than six inches). Is that deep enough for a rosemary plant, or will it eventually get too big? (I don't mind cutting it down. Dh will use a lot to cook with, too. I just want to be sure the roots won't outgrow the depth.)

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

What do you mean by 'weed block cover'?

Why don't you transplant your little rosemary into a good sized container with some excellent, fast-draining potting mix? A 6 inch allowance for root depth isn't deep enough for a great deal, and I doubt very much that rosemary would do well for very long. They do quite well in containers, if allowed to grow in the full sun and as long as the potting medium is very porous.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Instead of transplanting try cuttings dipped in a root tone. They do need moist soil to start. As for the depth that I do not know but expect they will try to go much deeper than 6" as they get much taller some over 4-5 foot with a very hardy root. I would suspect that the root can cut right thru the block. If it had been a cutting the soak time would not have mattered. Just have your husband go back and get a few cuttings that way if you get too many starts you can share or just have more plants. We do enjoy giving plants as gifts to friends.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry...by weed block, I mean the black stuff you put down before putting dirt on top. We have killed two sets of cuttings (though, we didn't use any rooting hormone). We just cannot keep anything alive indoors...though we can outdoors. :). I already bought a set of two new plants (was only going to get one for 2nd matching bed, but they came in pairs). If it punches through the weed block, I think I am ok with it....maybe I will just remove the block and deal with weeds. He really wants it outside and in the ground. He has been super-supportive of my crazy need for flowers, so I really want this to work. Thanks for all be advice...it helps tremendulously!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I have to say that I've never heard of using landscape fabric UNDER the soil in this manner. Wouldn't that create a sort of bathtub effect? It's typically used under the mulch layer.

Weed seeds are commonly found in the top few inches of soil where they germinate at will with moisture and warmth. They also blow in on the wind and germinate readily through mulch and even a woven barrier.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

6 inches is not deep enough for rosemary it would need at least a foot imo and probably more. As for cuttings they don't need to be done indoors at this time of year. A moderately dappled shady spot outside will suit them fine. Just put small sprigs (3- 6 inches)into a well drained mix in pots, make sure they don't dry out but do not keep them too wet. Apart from that forget about them. Check in a couple of months. And personally I'd skip the weed block but I know it's a fairly popular practice in the US. Without it your plants can go to whatever depth they need into the native soil.

BTW your need for flowers is NOT crazy ;-). It's totally healthy. I'd be more worried if you didn't want them. Seriously, though, gardening has got me through some difficult times.

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Landscape fabric will also keep good stuff like earthworms out of your soil. You definitely want them for healthy soil. And if you are trying to keep weeds out with the landscape fabric know that between wind and the birds, weeds will find their way into the garden anyways. Ditch the landscape fabric.

FataMorgana

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, the weed block has been there for a while...so no getting rid of it. :-p We had some pretty bad dirt under it, if you can even call it. It couldn't grow anything. It was totally worthless. :) We have found earthworms in the soil, so they are finding their way in. No, it doesn't cut all of the weeds out, but it sure does help! I actually have had great luck growing nearly everything I have tried, except the rosemary. I think it was just damaged before I got it in, though. The new ones are looking VERY happy right now. Thanks for everyone's help!

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator