Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first herb garden

Posted by cheryllmartel 6b (lovinmyplants@yahoo.com) on
Thu, May 15, 14 at 21:46

I have a little piece of land around 5x5 that I would like to make into an herb garden (we do not have much property) - now this little garden would get no sun in the morning (big house next door) - and limited afternoon sun (shed is beside the garden to the west) - So, the majority of the sunlight would be during late morning until mid afternoon. Would my herbs still grow properly in this location or should I choose containers on my deck......(they still would not get morning sun there either)..... Any advice or funky ideas welcome...

Thank you, Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first herb garden

Your herbs need a half day of sun. Look at the sun amount total for the day. I don't know of any herbs that like shade. 5x5 is big enough to grow all the herbs I would need. What are you planning to grow?

o
RE: My first herb garden

I'm not too sure, but I will tell you what I know. I have been growing several herbs in a much cooler climate than yours, in pots on a balcony. This balcony gets only direct morning sun and is indirect sun the rest of the afternoon and evening.

So far, the plants have been just fine. I don't know how comparable that is to your situation, I'm assuming not very. However, it shows that herbs are more resilient than people tend to give them credit for.

If anything, maybe plant some extra of your favorites in a few pots that you can move to a sunnier spot if the rest of them start going south. Herbs take to pots well, just don't over or under water them. Also, make sure you harden them off!! I have made many plants angry by messing up watering and hardening off.

The biggest issue you will get is maybe less vigorous growth, which is also why I said grow a few extra. They say if you can pick between a spot that has good sun or a spot that has good soil, go for the sun. It's easier to ammend soil than light ;) Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here