Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing lavender from cuttings

Posted by pvel 7a (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 11 at 22:06

Has anyone had success propagating lavender from cuttings? My first attempt doesn't seem to be working. I used soft green cuttings. I think maybe I should have used woody cuttings. I use commercial rooting powder and Miracle Gro potting mix.
Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing lavender from cuttings

I've never tried to root it. I wouldn't recommend any potting soil with fertilizer in it for anything! It killed my nice Jade plant. I would use seed starter mix or something really light.Keep the foliage wet with daily watering from a hose or watering can. That seems to be the most important thing to do! The time of year makes a big difference. Ask your local Agricultural agent or Google it, look for an edas site.

o

If you use heel cuttings from second-year growth, you'll get better results. Don't use fertiliser on cuttings or very young seedlings. Just dip the cut end into some pure honey, then dibble a hole into the potting mix with your finger or a pencil, insert the cutting, tamp soil around it gently with the finger-tips, water in and sit back and wait.

If you're concerned about over-watering, make a little tent by bending some coat-hanger wire. Insert the ends into the pot (right at the perimeter), then cover the whole thing (pot and all) with some clear plastic. This will create a mini-climate of humidity and heat which will give the cutting a good head start. Once the cutting has grown and is touching the plastic, the cloche can be removed. Give it a week or two to adjust, then plant where you want it.

Use the same technique for other woody shrubs like rosemary, too.

o

thanks. i have had good success with rosemary cuttings. the lavender were green rather than woody, next time i will look for more woody cuttings from an older plant.

o

Another old thread and another post by daisy...she mentions dipping the cutting in honey before planting it. Why honey?? I would love to use honey in place of chemical rooting agents. A particular type of honey? Interesting!

o

I would assume Daisy means raw, unpasteurized honey, but Daisy will have to comment on that.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here