Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningheidi

Are you successful in growing herbs in a Mexican strawberry pot?

GardeningHeidi
9 years ago

I have a lovely outdoor herb garden, but of course I want herbs during the winter as well. Since now is when the herbs are on sale, I figure it's the time to fill up a Mexican strawberry pot with herbs. I have a south facing window which I think will provide plenty of light throughout the seasons. Sadly, my research led me to numerous criticisms of this growing method. So, does anyone have luck growing herbs in this way? If so, are there tricks or tips that are essential to making this method work? Or is this just a pretty thing that dilettante herb gardeners do for four months before realizing that it simply doesn't work?

Comments (8)

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

I, personally, have never had anything survive very long in one of those pots, and I've tried several different methods. Maybe someone else here has had
    luck, but not me.

• princessgrace79
    9 years ago

Following this thread. I just started making one of these. Both bc I had an extra strawberry pot, a lack of garden space, and it sounds neat! From what I read it's best to use low water herbs. I also started with a mix of potting soil and some heavier soil, I think the main complaint is dry out.

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

Same experience as westelle for everything except maybe hen-and-chickens and even they weren't keen on it.

FataMorgana

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

I currently have a small one going with thyme in it that I started 2 months ago. It is currently very happy, though it's only been a short time. I have thyme in the top, and the next 2 top side holes. I did have a small thyme that I put in one of the two bottom holes, and it didn't make it. Don't know whether it wasn't strong to start with, or really didn't like the transplant, but it gave up within a week. I used a combo of potting soil and succulent mix. The thyme at the top gets droopy and let's me know when to water. I water a small amount (about a cup) because the bottom does tend to retain water. Right now I have some onion chives in one of the bottom holes, but it was a weak bunch to start with and is kind of stagnant. Don't think it's getting enough sun, as my pots when outside (it's snowing right now) are more crowded than normal with all my veggie seedlings hardening off and waiting for warm enough temps to plant.

• GardeningHeidi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much! I appreciate the input!

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

Watering is suppose to be helped by inserting a tube-with-holes down thru the middle. Even tho it made sense It didn't help for that pot. .

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

I have several of these (purchased before I actually gardened lol) and only recently am having luck with it. I'm not growing herbs but I think the same method might work for you - I left one opening empty on each pot, and when it's time to water (often in my case since I'm growing actual strawberries) I fill up an old wine bottle and turn it upside down into that empty soil space. This way you're not watering from the top - which inevitably eroded the soil out the holes and onto the floor in my experience. ;)

The water is drawn into the soil slowly and at their roots which also decreases evaporation lost. They sell thingies at garden stores to do this but wine bottles are free around here. ;)

I'm also growing mint in a strawberry pot - as an experiment to see if the roots will find their way out the openings (seems like they should? anyone try this?) And I water it the same way. Some times a little water on top if it's gotten too dry....

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Or is this just a pretty thing that dilettante herb gardeners do for four months before realizing that it simply doesn't work?

Yes, especially if you are trying to grow mixed herbs. The vigorous growers will swamp the others. Unless you have one of the HUGE pots, the herbs get rootbound and die.