Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Dill keeps dying!

Posted by ProudIrish none (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 22:29

I have planted three dill plants in containers and they all keep dying. They do well for the first few days and then they start wilting and turn brown. Please tell me what I am doing wrong. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Dill keeps dying!

We really can't help you with the information you've provided. The usual problems would be over- or under-watering, too little or too much light, problems with the potting medium consistency or ingredients, over fertilization, unchecked insect and/or disease issues.

o

I'll take a guess here - you planted dill plants? Try direct sowing seed for better results.

FataMorgana

o

How warm is it where you are at? The heat will make Dill set seed and die.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sun, May 22, 11 at 16:37

Agree with Fata. Dill has a long tap root and doesn't like to be transplanted. Buy a pack of seeds.

o

Also, "you are planting in pots" are you removing the dirt and the plant after it died, or just the plant itself. Dont give up, empty your container completely...soil and plant....refill with new fresh soil, get you some seeds, be patient, and watch it grow. Have FUN!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here