Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hillarysd

Lavender not germinating

hillarysd
13 years ago

I'm attempting to start some lavender, purely for the fragrant aroma. I have probably 20 seeds nestled in 3" pots and have seen no activity to speak of... I am keeping them moist, and relatively warm, (no cooler than 70 degrees F) and would appreciate suggestions!

Comments (14)

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

How long have they been sown for? It can be slow, taking up to a month to germinate. Also maybe they are TOO moist - that's one of the commonest reasons things go wrong with seeds.

• hillarysd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh... they've only been seeded since 4/30... Perhaps I'm just being impatient, which is pretty much par for the course where I'm concerned. Too moist you think? Hmm, it's possible, I don't let the soil dry out at all. I'll keep that in mind... A WHOLE MONTH!?!?! And I was hoping for instant gratification! ;)

• kemistry
    13 years ago

i would sown a bunch of seeds and forget about them for a while. : )I only watered my pot once, then occasionally i would do a light misting. Mine would pop up in 2-3 weeks.

Perhaps you could try the wet paper towel/zip lock bag method?

• kemistry
    13 years ago

btw, my seeds were sown indoor last Winter, temp was around 60-70. If your place has warmed up, then check on the pot more often, mist when necessary and don't let the soil dries out.

• star_stuff
    13 years ago

LOL, one month, that's nothing! I started a bunch of lavender seeds IN MARCH, and still ZERO germination!

And so it goes...

• karen_b
    13 years ago

I've had the best success wintersowing lavender. Also, it took most plants 2-3 years before they bloomed. Another thing to take into consideration is that lavender plants (like many other perennial herbs) sown from seed may not necessarily be true to the charecteristic you may expect from a plant propogated from a root of a parent plant.

• hillarysd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Still waiting... I was aware of mint having the issue of not being true to character, but I've never read that of lavender. Hmmm... I have moved them outside into the sun. Is this too a mistake? The temperature is 85 today, I spose I will fail and live this whole year sans lavender... :*(

• hillarysd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thought I would post a follow up... Still no germination. So, instead I opted for live plant cuttings, and they are thriving! So much for patience...

• lily51
    13 years ago

My true lavender took a week to germinate, then about a month before i transplanted into a 4 pack, than another before ready for a small pot. poor rate of germination tho

Lady lavenda does much, much better and blooms the first year. I started feb 17, germ feb 30, transplant feb 14, into pots on april 10. very good germination rate.

trays instead of pots for germination might work beter.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Now you've given up they are almost guaranteed to germinate in their millions.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Truer words were never spoken!

FataMorgana

• sweet_destiny_2
    11 years ago

I want to start some lavender seeds, what is the best soil and temperature for them?

• albertine
    11 years ago

I'm trying some myself, last year was a bust, so am going with a cold stratification for a while (sowed into pots with moist soils, put into cold room to sit) -

from the Horizon Herbs catalog -

A 2-week period of moist, cold-conditioning prior to sowing in a warm place will improve germination.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horizon catalog