Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richselk

herb quality

RichSelk
11 years ago

Hi all,

Newbie here. Is there a real difference in taste and quality between different brands of herbs purchased from the nursery? Is there a brand that is superior to others?

Thanks,

Rich

Comments (9)

• agmss15
    11 years ago

I'm not sure quite what you mean by brand - either variety or grower/producer? Example label might say -
    Rich's Herbs - grower
    Italian large leaf basil - herb and variety

The same variety of an herb by different growers should taste the same but quality can be quite different. However since there are different growers in different areas of the country unless you lived near me I wouldn't have a recommendation. Different varieties of the same herb can taste quite different - example thai basil and italian basil taste different.

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

If by "brand" you mean "variety" or "cultivar," then the answer is yes. There are many varieties of basil - for example my favorite thai basil is the variety "Siam Queen." Everyone's preference for certain varieties varies with their individual tastes. Try different ones and see what you like best.

FataMorgana

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I was thinking that Rich meant producers or growers. I guess we'll never know unless he gets back to us.

The reason I thought that is because one very common producer of containerized vegetable and herb plants grows herbs that taste very 'watered' down to me. I'm sure that they 'speed grow' them using lots of nitrogen which can greatly reduce the concentration of flavors and aromas.

Do you know what I mean?

• eibren
    11 years ago

Yes, and some growers use potting soil that requires daily watering if the plant is not to die while awaiting planting, or even after. I have vowed not to purchase plants from such growers, as it is almost always a waste of money. These are probably the same "watered down" plants referred to. Am I right?

• agmss15
    11 years ago

Usually if the plant looks okay and I plant them I find that they recover their flavor once they are good soil and a sunny spot. I find flavor is also very dependent on the amount and intensity of light the plants are getting. As far as watering - herbs are ofter grown very dry to keep them in bounds - a PIA for the retailer and maybe the buyer. The other thing that happens is the wetting agent in the potting soil stops being effective - it can be reapplied but often isn't. I usually find this problem to be worst in over grown hanging baskets.

• RichSelk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help so far. Rhizo is on the money with what I am asking.

Just thinking that some of the herbs that I buy at the food market taste better than the ones I have grown in my garden.

• freki
    11 years ago

Rich, the flavour is dependent on variety/strain, growing conditions & timing of harvest.

You can find the commercial strains available as seed, most plants available at the nurseries are not that specific, IME.

• RichSelk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks freki!

Does anyone have a recommendation on where a newbie might start his journey of learning? I know reading this message board but possibly a good reference book?

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Rich- We do have a lot of new people visit here and sometimes we don't all speak the same plant "language" and words. :)

I get my seeds and plants - especially where I am really concerned about the taste, quality, or medicinal efficacy from places that specialize. I don't buy from big box places or pick up plants at my supermarket. For example, if I want a tasty basil, I buy seeds of named varieties from Baker Creek, Johnnys, Territorial Seed, or any number of other seed vendors. I want some good tulsi (holy basil) seed, I wander over to Horizon Herbs and order from them. I want a plant of a specific scented geranium variety or any number of medicinal herbs, I order from Richters. Native medicinal plants I often get from places like Prairie Moon that specialize in native plants.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that depending upon what items I am specifically looking for, the "brand" or vendor I use varies. But none of what I use are big brands like Monrovia or anything like that.

New Encyclopedia of Herbs & Their Uses by Deni Brown is a good all around herb book. If you have something specific you are looking for in a book, let us know.

FataMorgana