Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rvird01

Heat tolerant herbs for Florida rock garden

Rhonda
9 years ago

I would love to add heat tolerant plants in my Florida full sun rock garden. I have plenty of cacti and succulents, but would love to add herbs (culinary and medicinal). Which ones would thrive in the heat and very well drained sandy soil?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

For medicinals, check what the Native people that lived in your part of Florida used. You should get a nice selection of native medicinal plants that tolerate your conditions well.

For culinary, some of the Mediterranean herbs like sage and thyme may tolerate these conditions.

FataMorgana

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I can't grow them here but I'd love to be able to have Lemon Verbena (Aloysia citrodora) and Curry Leaves (Murraya koenigii). Would they grow in Florida, Fatamorgana?

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

Lemon Verbena may work with the heat since it is a tropical plant, but it prefers a richer soil than it sounds like OP has. I know it does great here in Denver with our intense sun, and I believe it also handles humidity, but don't know for sure. It is lovely to have for tea and desserts.

If the soil isn't right for it, you could try adding it in a decorative pot- it works well in a container as long as it's kept watered and trimmed back.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I have good luck with basil, holy basil, rosemary, thyme and oregano in my sandy soil. My lemon verbena struggled last year and died.

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Since I have some of those you mentioned already in my herb garden, I'll start some cuttings and plant those in the rock garden before spending any money :)

What about lavender? If I give it plenty of space for the air to circulate do you think it will be able to take the heat?

Thanks again.
    Rhonda

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

Lavender is definitely worth a try. Do you have an extension office you could check with to find out which types grow best in your area? A small local garden center might know too.

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

Agreed - locally owned garden centers and nurseries as opposed to big-box stores usually have very knowledgeable and helpful staff. Big bonus, you can get plants there too!

Try looking up Seminole and "medicinal plants" or "ethnobotany" or "medicinal herbs" or the like to get info on your local medicine plants. Native plants for your region are really easy to grow and care for.

FataMorgana

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

hi
    The main problem in florida is not the heat but the incessant humidity lol. The high night temps don't help either lol I grow most herbs in pots either buried or not .
    Allows control of soil mix as well as location .
    Generally I have better luck during winter.
    there are a few consistant ones BUT I find they hate florida sand lol good luck gary