Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a particular basil species...

Posted by valeriannightmares CA (My Page) on
Wed, May 19, 10 at 22:51

Last year I bought a plant called simply "pesto basil" from Ace Hardware. The plant died, and I haven't been able to find the same plant again. I've looked for pesto basil in the stores, but hey, turns out about half the basil out there likes to call itself pesto basil. oh, and plug "pesto basil" into google and see what good it does.

The plant I got had small, slightly variegated leaves, and a lovely pesto sauce smell. anyone have any idea what I'm looking for?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a particular basil species...

Try Pistou basil rather than pesto basil. I also purchased a couple of plants last year at our annual herb society sale and it is one of the best for pesto and other dishes needing basil. I dug up one of mine and gave to a friend after he started raving how good it was. I had given him a herb bouquet. If you have a green house you can attempt to winter over. My friend returned the plant I gave him this spring to be planted out. I purchased my seeds either from Territorial Seeds or Nichols Garden both in Oregon. I looked before I posted and it is no longer listed for this year. Perhaps with the correct name you will be able to find a plant.

I have seen French recipes for a mixed herb topping called Pistou that is added to the top of soups and stews when served. This year I should have enough to try the mixture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here