Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing Saffron?

Posted by trsinc 8 TX (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 23:01

Are yours dormant now? I just noticed today that mine are already dormant. We had an unusually cold winter and spring. They were doing fine. I planted them last fall. I know that they like wet winters and hot dry summers, but I'm wondering if our summers are too hot and dry. We've just gotten into the 90's, daytime, this week.

So, should I water them a little during the summer? We generally get very little rain. Also, I have mine in a giant pot. Maybe 25 gallons? If that makes a difference.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing Saffron?

Wow, have yours ever flowered? Did you get to use any of it? I wonder if I could grow it in AZ?

o

Yes, mine flowered. I planted them last fall and the flowers came up first then the leaves. I harvested the few threads, let them dry on a plate, and used them in a rice dish. The flavor was very mild.

I've never bought saffron at the store so that was my first time to cook with it. I was under the impression it was a very strong spice. ?? It could be just because it was the first year, don't know. They smelled wonderful!

o

No, it's a very mild spice. I think that may lead people to over season with it. I have to say I'm crazy jealous you can grow it.

o

Don't be jealous yet, lol. The test will be to see if they come back in the fall. I know they go dormant in summer, so... we'll see. If they work out I'm going to buy some more bulbs.

Some guy in Finland was growing it in his garden. I don't know what all he did but if he can do it, so can you!

o

How/ where do you get the saffron bulbs ? Will they grow in zone 6 ?

o

Yup. They grow for me and I'm to the north of you. I must admit mine are confused as the best time to be growing and so I have yet to harvest any saffron.

Many places sell the saffron crocus. I got mine from a local nursery. Look for Saffron or Crocus sativus.

FataMorgana

o

shonoo, I bought mine from Fedco. I'll put the link below. The bulbs will not be open for ordering until mid June. Seems like last year it was April...

Here's an article that might be helpful to some:

http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/2405/how-to-grow-saffron

Here is a link that might be useful: Fedco

o

Thanks TRSINC and FataMorgana. I have added FEDCO to my favorties. Will check them out in June.

o

pl someone post images of your saffron, i ordered some last year but my flowers does not matches with the flowers posted on the company's website. I have now some flowers comming up in a day or two then i will post my pictures too.

o

Newbie, you can google 'saffron crocus' and see zillions of good images.

What is different about the flowers you are seeing in your garden?

o

Rizho, the ones i had were, devoid of the stamens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here