Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spearmint suffering from...something.

Posted by another_amanda 8 (My Page) on
Thu, May 13, 10 at 23:04

I'm extremely new to gardening and I suspect my spearmint plant is suffering from both insects and fungus. I've checked other spearmint questions on the site, but I'm too inexperienced to tell if I have the same problems. Here's what I've got:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have 2 spearmint plants, both less than 8" tall. I noticed this problem about three or four days ago (but it could have appeared earlier). The leaves look chewed with a dark outline around damaged areas. Leaves are also yellowing and some are covered with a substance that looks like hard water buildup (but isn't, obviously). As you can tell from the first picture, the entire plants haven't deteriorated too much, but I'd like to get this cleared out before it gets worse. I've read that spearmint is hardy, but mine seems to grow slowly.

There is a crape myrtle nearby that has yearly fungus problems, so I suspect it's picked up that fungus (don't know what it is). I've also seen a substance on the leaves that looks like what I can only describe as a thick buildup of dust (could be webbing, maybe), as well as black specks that could either be small dead insects or droppings. I haven't been able to find any insects on the plant itself. There is nothing unusual on the underside of the leaves.

I purchased a spray bottle of ready-to-use Neem oil for some other plants. Would it help here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spearmint suffering from...something.

Have you noticed any slugs in your garden? The eaten leaves look very much like slug damage.

The discoloration looks like effects from the sun..which could be in conjunction with too littlr or too much water.

Sometimes my leaves get a little crispy or dark...if I don't like the way it looks I pluck it off. lol

Hope that helps.

o

Just looks like normal spring issues to me -- slugs, rain followed by lots of sun, etc. I would stop watering and just let them go for a while. You will soon be knee deep in mint.

o

Thank you both! I've started seeing snails around, and it's really perked up now that we've had some rain, so I might be underwatering. It looks like now it's growing faster than they're chomping, so maybe it'll pull through this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here