Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemyroses

Best Lavender for North Texas....

ilovemyroses
11 years ago

I'm looking for health and blooms! Grow mainly roses. Thx.

Comments (5)

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow, does this mean lavender isn't so great here, or no one knows?? ( joking )

I was pretty brief. Keypad on Ipad is awkward. Just know there are lavender gardens in the Hill County and throughout areas of Texas, and trying to get any opinions locally.

Spanish Lavender has done well, I wonder if that is what is best here. May just experiment with what I can find locally, I'll post my findings!! Love the smell!!

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Sorry. I live in the frozen North and my concerns are usually for winter hardiness rather than heat. My suggestions won't help you fit your climate. If there are no Southern gardeners reading that can comment for you, you might try asking on one of the regional forums.

FataMorgana

• pinks
    11 years ago

Sorry, all of my attempts at lavender in Houston have failed. North Carolina is the farthest South that I've succeeded. Farmers always sell pretty lavender plants at our farmer's markets, but I'm always deeply suspicious.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    11 years ago

I grow lavender successfully in the mountains of NM. My soil is an alkaline clay. We have it planted on a raised mound to help facilitate drainage in rainy years. Heat does not seem to bother them at all (I used to live in Palm Springs, CA). I have Buena Vista, Provence, Grosso, and a few others I cannot remember right now. We put very little compost in the holes when planting, watered regularly the first couple of weeks and then tapered that off. The plants that have been there 2-3 years get watered about once a month now and I only occasionally lose some to the cold. Good luck.

• merrybookwyrm
    11 years ago

You might call Lavender Ridge Herb Farm. They are situated on sandy soil between Gainesville and Whitesboro. I don't know what varieties they grow; they've been there about 7 years if memory serves. So far lavender in their area of north Texas dislikes large hail, wet summers, and last year's heat. They've had to replant. Lavender just may have to be treated as a short-lived perennial here. Redenta's also had some lavender earlier in the year; maybe North Haven Gardens. Redenta's and North Haven Gardens are in Arlington, Dallas, and Dallas respectively. Good luck!

I live in the wet feet clayey area of north Texas, and haven't bothered to plant lavender since I don't have a big enough raised bed. If it likes conditions similiar to rosemary, it might do just fine in a raised bed against a south facing wall!

The lavender infused honey that Lavender Ridge Farms makes is wooooonderful.