Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pot size recommendations for Cilantro

Posted by treeinnj 6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 08 at 23:29

I'm planting cilantro in pots on my back deck - and, knowing that cilantro has a long tap root & doesn't like to be transplanted - I was wondering, does anyone have a recommendation for the height of the pot to use?

I plan on making the diameter a fairly good size as I would like to continuously sow throughout the summer since (as I've read here & experienced last year from transplants) it seems to bolt so quickly.

Thanks & All the Best, Tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pot size recommendations for Cilantro

About 4 inches deep is fine. Plant successive groups of seeds. They can be planted quite close togther as you are harvesting the tender young leaves. On a deck, if its strong sunlight, the cilantro will not like that. Cilantro prefers cooler weather and mostly shade. I start it in 2"x2" pots and plant maybe 10-20 seeds in each pot. If I want seeds (coriander), I allow it to bolt and continue into flowering, then seed formation. There are a few coriander varieties that are slower to bolt. But usually once those nice parsely shaped leaves go, the plants send up thnner fern like leaves, which can also be harvested. After that, avoid the stems as they do get woody and tough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here