Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Catnip- Questions on Propagation and Seeds Collecting

Posted by house_first_timer 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 07 at 0:39

How can I collect seeds from my catnips? Their flowers are blooming now, quite nice looking.

Also, I've tried to root some cuttings in water, 2 weeks or so have passes, still no new roots yet. So, what's the easiest way to root new cuttings?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Catnip- Questions on Propagation and Seeds Collecting

Let your flowers mature, turn brown, and dry. Then you can cut the stalks and shake seeds into a bag. The seeds are very small and take a while to germinate in the spring, but once you plant one plant, you wind up with a pretty good patch of it. It reseeds pretty well if you want to keep it in the same area(or pot). I have put large rocks around the smaller plants to keep neighborhood(and my own)cats from rubbing it into the ground. Once the plants get above the rocks, the cats can roll in it all they want and it will survive. If your cuttings won't root in water, you may try sticking new cuttings in a small pot of moist medium and keeping it in the shade for a while until you see new growth. You could also try it with and without rooting hormone and see which works best. I have never rooted catnip cuttings. I'm sure you will get responses from those that have.

o

noinwi,

Thanks for your information, it helps a lot.

o

I wish this thread had continued.

I just took some catnip cuttings and now i'm dying to know what to do with them before they dry out!

o

My catnip have gone wild in an old garden spot.Think i've about 15 plants over there.They like full sun. As noinwi above said plant cuttings in soil in a pot. but i'd use fresh cuttings. Keep soil damp not soggy wet.

o

I've had success starting cuttings by just sticking them in moist soil in partial shade. You might have greater success using root hormone, or watering with a willow tea.

o

The catnip growing wild here-and-there about my place is an effective self-seeder. I would try collecting seeds from the dry, brown flower heads of your catnip - as mentioned above. Plant those seeds this fall for plants next year. The seed grown plants are quite vigorous and strong. See link below.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow catnip

o

I have placed cuttings from healthy catnip plants into sparkling mineral water. I have found in the past that cuttings (mint) that were dying would grow new leaves when placed in mineral water. Unfortunately I see no developement of roots after 1.5 weeks. The cutting are still healthy, but I am pretty sure they will not grow roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here