Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help identifying insect plauging basil

Posted by ravenmaid z6 OK (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 05 at 1:39

There are white webs on my basil plants, primarily on the undersides of the leaves, connecting to the stems. These webs contain tiny (ca. 1/16 of an inch long)white larvae/worms. They do not seem to move, but the webs are larger each time I go into my garden. (Every few days)I recently started using a cayenne pepper spray for serpentine leafminers, which are also plauging my basil, but the webs keep growing. If anyone can give me an idea what these pests are, and how best to deal with them (preferably without resorting to chemical insecticides) I would be very grateful. I have searched the web to no avail.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help identifying insect plauging basil

Hard to be certain without actually seeing, but it might be that the dreaded tent catepillar has decided it likes your basil. Do a google search and you will see the nasty critters. You have to hand pick them off your plants and destroy (by squashing). Most often, they attack trees and the limb affected must be cut off and burned.

o

Thank you for your suggesstion. I found much information about this pest on the web. Unfortunately, the eggs that are in the webbing do not match thoseof the tent caterpillar, and I have seen no caterpillars or moths matching the prescription. What I have may well be a variety of tent caterpillar, but I am not sure. Thank you for your advise, and I would appreciate any more comments on the subject.

o

I don't know what type of webbing / larvae it might be on basil but I wonder if they are still enough to try to smother them with a dose of insecticidal soap or neem oil? If that doesn't work, a long shot on the organic front would be Bt but that's usually for caterpillars and I doubt it would work on just the larvae / worms.

o

Wouldn't be surprised that if you just hand picked them and rubbed off the web, that would take care of them.

o

• Posted by Kris 8b DFW (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 13, 05 at 18:53

Maybe this is out in left field but is it possible you are seeing a spider mite infestation. They certainly take over plants with a webbing that just gets bigger and bigger as you mentioned. There is both a red variety which I'm more used to but there are other varieties that appear whiter. See this link: http://www.inra.fr/Internet/Produits/HYPPZ/RAVAGEUR/6teturt.htm#ima

and this image: http://www.inra.fr/Internet/Produits/HYPPZ/IMAGES/7033192.jpg

Best of luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here