Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliciainwonderland

Cat Scat Herb?

My neighbor'a cat is quite destructive to my herb garden. I planted rue but the fool came back anyway. I saw something for sale locally called Cat Scat, but they didn't have any official name for it. I always research everything I plant since my 14 month old son is always with me and likes to nibble on everything. :) Does anyone know what that herb actually is and if it is poisonous if ingested? Thanks!

Comments (6)

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

I've seen prickly mats to lay on the soil around plants. Cats are soft-footed and such things discourage them.

FataMorgana

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

There are no plants that repel cats. The one commonly marketed that way is a type of plectranthus (Plectranthus caninus) .

The general rule of thumb regarding children grazing on plants growing outside is that they should ALL be off limits until the child is old enough to not touch. If yours grazes when unsupervised, then you might want to fence off the herb garden and ornamental beds.

I'd be very concerned with your neighbor's cat using the herb garden as a litter box. Outdoor cats can harbor parasites that are readily transmitted to humans.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Physical barriers laid on top of the soil, such as plastic fencing or anything prickly, have worked well for me.

Rodney

• aliciainwonderland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This cat us strangely persistent. :( He has torn through my greenhouse window screens when my herbs where in there, jumped up a 5 foot tall retaining wall, etc. We have two cats and two dogs of our own (all primarily inside), and the neighbor cat has not been deterred by all of them chasing after him or us chasing him out. I've tried fencing around my garden space, bird netting, etc. I am convinced he must not be fed enough by his owner.

In regard to the comment about the cat poop, obviously I am concerned too or I wouldn't constantly try to find new ways to deter the pest. In regard to the comment about my son (not that I should have to defend my parenting), he is NEVER left unattended and he always shows me something before he eats it. I am less concerned about him actually than when I have clients come...my office is on our property also and I work with small children and dogs. My garden gets picked at often so I make sure there are never any poisonous plants. The last thing I want is a lawsuit because a client's child or dog got sick from picking at my garden.

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

Have you tried putting out a bowl of good food for the cat?

Are you growing Cat Nip (Cat Mint) .... a sure attractant for the cat?

Perhaps the cat is sick and is looking for an herbal cure. Is there a particular plant it goes after?

• aliciainwonderland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've considered leaving food out for him, but really don't want to encourage him coming here at all. He has attacked our pets, even went after the dogs. The cat is literally nuts. Someone across the street used to leave food out for him and it didn't help. I've had quite a few bad arguments with the owner over the past few years because of the whole thing. Occasionally I do have catnip, but not near the other herbs....only up in a really high hanging basket where he can't get it. He doesn't go for anything in particular...he has demolished any kind of herb, lettuce, etc. He is worse than the wildlife that we have around here.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks