Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maricybele

When is the best time to dry raspberry leaves for tea?

maricybele
15 years ago

When is the best time to pick and dry raspberry leaves for tea?

thanks

Comments (7)

• fatamorgana2121
    15 years ago

When you need them or want them. ;)

FataMorgana

• Daisyduckworth
    15 years ago

Raspberry:
    Leaves may be gathered before flowering and dried for use in infusions, tinctures or tablets. The roots may be dug up in summer and dried for decoctions. Fruits are gathered when ripe and dried for use in decoctions, or used fresh or frozen for culinary purposes.

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

Are we talking any raspberry or just the more wild ones? I have both.

And, as long as I'm asking: besides the taste, are there any special benefits for drinking this tea?

• Daisyduckworth
    15 years ago

I'm talking about Rubus idaeus, R. occidentalis.

For the main part, raspberry leaf tea is for use during the last stages of pregnancy.

Medicinal Uses: The leaves are useful for toning the uterine muscles during pregnancy. Take only in the last few weeks of pregnancy and during childbirth but not earlier. A tea is used to treat diarrhoea. The tea combined with cream will relieve nausea and vomiting and can help with morning sickness. A poultice of the leaves is used externally for tonsillitis, mouth inflammation, sores, conjunctivitis, minor wounds, burns and varicose ulcers. The fruit is mildly laxative. Excessive use may cause a rash around the middle of the body.

If you google for 'raspberry leaf tea' you'll notice that most of the sites you'll get are about pregnancy!

Here is a link that might be useful: more on raspberry leaf tea

• organic_carrieann
    12 years ago

Actually, raspberry leaf tea is safe and beneficial at all stages of pregnancy. It acts as a uterine tonic (meaning that it strengthens and invigorates the uterus and entire reproductive system). However, it does not overstimulate the uterus and cause premature labor like some other emmenagogues.
    If taken regularly throughout pregnancy and during parturition, raspberry leaf tea can ease and quicken labor. It is also a fabulous and effective remedy for menstrual cramps, especially if combined with dried sage and/or chamomile. (Works every time)

• batyabeth
    12 years ago

A question:
    "Take only in the last few weeks of pregnancy and during childbirth but not earlier."
    "The tea combined with cream will relieve nausea and vomiting and can help with morning sickness."

Morning sickness (worked great, BTW) is at the very start or at the most the first three months of pregnancy. That's nowhere near the last few weeks of pregnancy. Sorry to be confused, but it looks like those two sentences contradict each other. What am I missing?

• sheryl_ontario
    12 years ago

That convinces me. I'm goign to cut and dry some raspberry leaves tomorrow :-)

I'm trying to get as many herbs dried as I can now, before winter takes them.