Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tall plant that looks like fennel

Posted by darlene87 z7 Wa (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 07 at 5:17

I have done a lot of searching for the type of plant this could be, with no answer yet. It grows by the blackberry bushes, gets to about 6-7 ft. tall, and it looks like giant dill or fennel. Seeds have no smell to help identify them. It comes up every year in the same place. My neighbor has fennel, bronze and plain, and it is not that. Leaves are quite lacy like fennel also. No camera to take a picture, it got run over by my wheelchair, and I have not replaced it.
Darlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tall plant that looks like fennel

What do the leaves smell like?

o

If there are seed heads that have tiny yellow flowers before the seeds form, and these seed/flower heads are about 6 inches, it could be mammouth dill. Here is an illustration of dill weed, the flower heads and when the green seeds form, then turn tan when mature

Here is a link that might be useful: Dill foliage

o

I will go smell them again tomorrow. Seems that they had no smell last few times. Another gardener looked at it also, and said I don't know either, but don't eat it. Will keep looking and see what I find out.
Darlene

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 18:50

Maybe Ferula communis, 'Giant Fennel'?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ferula communis, 'Giant Fennel'?

o

This could also be Cow Parsley. The area around San Francisco Bay is over-run with a wild Fennel that gets quite large.

o

If it looks at all like a giant Queen Anne's Lace, it might be poison hemlock. The leaves are lacy, but not as fine as fennel or dill, and the flowers are a collection of tiny flowers in a circular, flat arrangement, as in Queen Anne's Lace.

It likes to grow along shady margins, in fairly dampish soil. The ones around here in better soil easily reach 6 or 7 feet.

o

BE CAREFUL!
It could be wild parsnip. The juice from this plant causes extreme sun sensitivity. Getting the juice on your skin causes it to be extra succeptible to sunburn.
http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/allegany_cattaraugus/hort/PestAlert.htm

It grows all over the ditches and pastures here.

o

To me, fewnnel and dill look alike. I believe they cross-polinate.

o

its either yarrow or hemlock.
search google images and decide which one you have.

o

I believe I have the same plant and I have not been able to identify it. It is not fennel, dill, queen anns lace, hemlock, wild parsnip, yarrow or cow parsley. It stands about 3 ft right now and has no smell. I have looks through image after image and still can't identify.

o

Christy44~
Eupatorium capillifolium/Dog Fennel has been identified recently at the Name that Plant Forum. Could that be what you have?

o

I think it is either called Horse Fennel or Dog Fennel. Its foliage closely resemble to fern dill and fennel.

It is something that NO insects or pest is attracted to it. There must be an insect repellent in it. We had a lot of them in GA, in the wild.

here is a picture.

This post was edited by seysonn on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 2:05

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here