Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny worms on parsley

Posted by fauzie (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 6:49

I have lost many parsley plants in my herb garden. The leafs wilt, and after I check the roots, I can see a lot of very small (but visible to the naked eye) worms. Can anybody here explain what I am dealing with here? And how to control them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny worms on parsley

Are these worms on the plants or in the dirt? What do they look like?

Petroselinum crispum is a host plant for some swallowtail butterfly larva. Their caterpillars are black and green striped with yellow dots. Host plant means that the caterpillars eat that particular plant before making a coccoon and turning into a butterfly. The caterpillars of different butterflies (and moths) use different plants as hosts, depending on which kind they are.

o

I linked in a blog post that shows black swallowtail caterpillars in a parsley patch. The caterpillars are distinctive and easy to spot. With the caterpillars, the foliage disappears but doesn't wilt.

I must admit to not being up on all pests that could be attacking the roots. I know there are destructive nematodes (as well as beneficial ones) but I believe they are generally below what can be seen by the human eye.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Recently seen in the parsley patch...

o

Ummm .. they are worms, not caterpillars.
Yes they are attacking the roots. They look like nematodes, but they are large enough to be visible (but too small to be photographed properly)

Only two more parsley plants left, and both are under attack. No italian food this season :(

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 5, 11 at 14:53

could it be carrot root fly larvae? Not sure if it goes after parsley - but they are the same family.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here