Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boblalux

Which sort of lavender to plant?

boblalux
10 years ago

Which lavender sort should I plant ?

For 10 years, we lived in the Midi of France, and planted Lavendula Angustifolia with success. Each year, using a copper alembic I distilled the oils from the blossoms (ca 1 L per year). No problems, and the plants thrived even in very dry periods, requiring absolutely no irrigation (as opposed to the olive trees).
We then moved to Burgundy, where I have continued planting/distilling, but the plants are not so happy. After the second year, we are still harvesting the blossom, but the centres of the plants are black. Too much rain and humidity, I think, although the sandy soil drains well.
We are now moving to the Alsace, which I suppose, has the same sort of humidity as here in the Burgundy.
Question: which sort of lavender should I plant, which best copes with the sort of rain/humidity to be expected in the Alsace?

Comments (3)

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

I am nowhere close to your type of climate (very dry here). It does sound like the blackening is a signal of root rot, so your soil is not draining as well as it could. Here, the soil tends toward clay, so even if you do major amendments to the top layer where you plant, water can still hit a clay layer about 2 ft down and still drown the plant.

You could try pruning the bases of your plants a bit more to allow for better airflow, allowing them to be a little more topiary like. Also, depending on how many plants, could look at raised beds that would allow for better drainage and airflow as well.

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

I cannot comment on French climate and growing conditions but I have lots of moisture and cold in my region which is western New York State (USA). I grow English lavender varieties like "Munstead" with good success. A variety like that may do better for you.

FataMorgana

• goodearth
    10 years ago

I am also interested in growing lavender in a humid climate : Tennessee, not as humid as Georgia, Atlanta, but still.
    English lavender would probably work well, since England climate is very humid compared to that of Provence. I envy you Boblalux, I grew up a few miles from Avignon, my sister still lives in Beaune, the heart of Burgundy country. I so miss the gardens of france

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting