Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remontant

Does anyone farmers' market?

remontant
13 years ago

My six-year old has been wanting to raise funds for Haitian relief, and I suggested some of our garden goods. We made strawberry jam and have been cutting chamomile flowers and lavender. I know we have to get a (free) permit from the city before we start, but I'm not sure how to price the dried flowers, for instance. Do you sell at a farmers' market, and if so, how much do you ask? Should I sell a cup of dried chamomile flowers for $1.00? If you sell dried lavender, how many wands do you put in a bunch and how much do you charge? Thanks!

Comments (6)

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Visit some local farmer's market and see the going rates in your location for "garden goods."

FataMorgana

• nancyanne_2010
    13 years ago

For jam and dried herbs you may need to get a permit from the health department and process it in an approved / inspected kitchen (depending on the laws of your state and county) You would also likely need to carry insurance in case someone became sick from your processed food (some farmers markets require it) Without insurance, if someone became sick from your food / produce, you could lose your house and property in a lawsuit.

It's nice you want to help the haitians. Your community must be very wealthy that none of your neighbors need help.

• remontant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your help, FataMorgana and nancyanne. Our state does allow canned goods from domestic kitchens for one-time charity sales (http://support.tennesseeanytime.org/node/1678) so I knew that would be OK. I understand and share your concern about helping local people, since in the past academic year I organized our city-wide "Alternative Christmas" fair with local chapter of Habitat for Humanity, our local food pantry, the county battered women's shelter, our local children's museum, the "halfway house" for non-violent ex-prisoners, and other non-profits. We also had a sewing class where we made new clothes for toddlers at the women's shelter. However, my brother went to Haiti in March to help with ongoing medical needs and he was touched by the courage of the Haitians coping with the aftermath of their cataclysmic losses. He saw not one but two adult men wearing donated blue Cub Scout uniform shirts--adult men so thin they could wear kids' clothing. (My boys are both in Cubs now so that was a sobering thought for them.) I know the $40 we raised at the market on Saturday won't do very much to help with the rebuilding effort, but I'm hoping that combined with many other small gifts from people who give not only locally but also globally, our gift will go towards building hurricane-proof transitional housing for people who have been through unimaginable loss already.
    I'm reading a book called "Give a Little: How Your Small Donations Can Transform Our World" by Wendy Smith. It's a really great book to help us from getting overwhelmed by the enormity of need and the finite amount of money we have to share. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith book at Amazon

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Good luck with your donation efforts. Even small acts of compassion can make a difference to strangers, to our children who see us as role-models, and in ourselves.

FataMorgana

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

ditto on everything FataMorgana said in her posts. A little bit of comparative shopping will be helpful in your endeavors. And GOOD for you for doing what you can to help others.

• nygardener
    13 years ago

I've been donating my surplus herbs and veggies to the local food pantry, where they're really appreciated. That's another way you can help locally. I also have gotten some good lessons on how to present things to make them appealing, and which kinds of produce move the most quickly. Good practice for a farmers' market, in other words.