Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammy123_gw

Anyone ever eaten Mexican Mint Marigold?

tammy123
17 years ago

Hello,

I'm new here... Just wondering if any of you have actually ever tried Mexican Mint Marigold in your kitchens? When I purchased mine, the tag only had the common name on it. They look exactly like all of the pics I've seen of MMG, but I'm afraid to try it because of no latin, or whatever, name. They weren't in the "herb" section at the nursery either. Always makes me nervous when it's something I'm not already familiar with like thyme, oregano, etc...

Oh, I've had it for about 2 years now and have seen it bloom, etc.

Comments (6)

• katwomn59
    17 years ago

I grew it last year, also called Texas Tarragon, because it is a good substitute for tarragon (which apparently doesnt grow well in TX). It is supposed to have a somewhat stronger flavor than tarragon. I dont cook stuff that calls for tarragon much so I only used it one time, but it tasted pretty good to me!

Lydia

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

It's too hot here in the subtropics to grow French Tarragon, so Winter Tarragon (Mexican Tarragon and a whole host of other names, but Tagetes lucida - a relative of French Marigold) is the one I grow and use. I find it a very acceptable substitute for French Tarragon. It flowers in late spring right through into winter, but when it gets cold at night it dies right back. When that happens, I chop it right back to nothing, and it grows back again as the weather warms up a bit. Some winters it will start shooting as soon as I cut it back - remember we have very mild winters - never a frost. It's a very attractive plant - the flowers are a really bright yellow and they grow at the tip of the stems. I'm very happy with it. I use it exactly the same ways as French Tarragon. Very nice in butter on a steak!

• tammy123
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Daisy!

I was hoping you would respond. I've been perusing the forum and can see that you have a lot of knowledge in that head of yours.

I guess I should have been more specific about my question... Is there any other plant that looks and acts like Mexican Mint Marigold that could potentially be poisonous? I haven't found anything, in books etc., to indicate... but you never know. Just a bit nervous about eating something labeled with only a common name. Smells kind of licorce like. I really do think it is the real deal. Just thought I would get an opinion or two first.

Tarragon butter on steak sounds great!! Hadn't thought of that, though I LOVE flavored butters of just about any kind on steak, and bread, and potatos...

Well, please let me know if you know of an imposter. Mine was just labeled Mexican Mint Marigold. It goes dormant in the winter, here in zone 8A Texas. I cut it back at that time and in the spring it sprouts back out. Has sort of spear shaped leaves and blooms just at the very tips of the plant in the fall only, so far. Kind of an old fashioned flower look to it. About 2 feet tall. Don't have a digital or I'd send you a pic.

• natal
    17 years ago

Tammy, sounds like the real deal. I don't care for tarragon or the Mexican mint variation, but I do love the fall flowers.

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

Have a word with the people you bought your plant from. Make it a very firm word about proper labelling of their plants. You should always be provided with a botanical name for every plant you buy - this is even more essential for herbs which are going to be eaten, or used medicinally.

Yes, Winter Tarragon (your MMM)is edible and yes it does have that aniseed-y, liquorice-y flavour of French Tarragon, but it lacks most of that astonishing tongue-numbing effect of French Tarragon.

I suppose there are poisonous look-alikes, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Just made sure next time you buy a plant to demand a botanical name on the labels. Jump up and down (on the manager's chilblains if necessary) if you can't get 100% guarantee that your plant is the one it's claimed to be!

• tammy123
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep, natal. That's what mine looks like, only bushier. Thanks for posting the pic!

And Daisy, I sooooooo agree about the fact that they should have the botanical names. On everything, I wish. Most nurseries around here just don't do it. Or I guess it is the growers they buy from who don't do it. Hmph. I'll take a cutting of the MMM next time I go. Or I'll just see if I can find one somewhere with the botanical name.