Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
culinary herbs for small, shallow containers

Posted by zachslc (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 05 at 9:27

Can anyone please recommend a few culinary herbs, perennials and annuals, that I could grow in small, shallow (2 inches deep) bonsai dishes? Surely there are some better suited than others. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: culinary herbs for small, shallow containers

You don't state where you live or if the container will be indoors or outdoors or outdoors, good drainage, etc. which can affect the herbs.

However, off hand, I would suggest Corsican mint and some of the creeper thymes, i.e. elfin, red-flowered, pink chintz, coconut, caraway, and Annie Hall to name just a few.

o

Thanks. I am in zone 5/6 and can keep them in or out in full sun either way. I mostly want them for my kitchen windowsill for fragrance/decoration.

Does Chervil have the same deep taproot that similar-looking herbs (like cilantro) have?

Thanks again!

o

A depth of 2 inches really doesn't give you enough room for any of the culinary herbs - taproots or not. You'd be better off using small but deep pots than bonsai trays.

o

True, but I grow the herbs that I mentioned above, and I have found them to have a very shallow root structure. That's why I only mentioned the mint and thymes mentioned above.

o

You could try Greek bush basil, though two inches is very shallow indeed.

o

I have Rosemary, Thyme and Pomegranate in 2.5 inches containers growing in a afternoon sun location.
Needless to say they require watering twice dairy.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o

My sage, mint and thyme are doing very well in the kitchen window. I also have dill. What's important is watering often if they are in small pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here