Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzieanne_gw

Help with identifying a mint smelling plant

LizzieAnne
9 years ago

I have a mint smelling plant that I can't identify. It seems to be growing downwards and doesn't look very happy so I wanted to see if anyone can help identify it. It might help me to save it!

Many thanks!

Comments (5)

• LizzieAnne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of one of the leaves in case that helps.

Thanks.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

It is mint but it is in a very bad way. It isn't actually 'growing' downwards. It's dying downwards.

Firstly, it clearly needs far more light. It appears to be indoors. Mint is never really happy inside and should be outdoors. Secondly, it looks very much as if it has been over-watered. How soggy is the soil? Is that white container an outer pot? And if so does the inner pot have drainage holes? And is there water in the bottom of the cache pot?

If you have outside space, even a windowsill, get it outdoors asap. I don't usually advocate cutting back sick plants but in this case I'd cut the whole thing back to 10 - 15cm. You can eat the prunings after rinsing them well. As long as you haven't sprayed them with anything.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I'd start it out in part shade or on a cloudy day. If it's been indoors any period of time it will sunburn.

• LizzieAnne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your posts. I have only had this a week (it was free with the pot) and wanted to see if it could be saved....!

I wondered if it had been under watered as the soil was very dry. It has an inner pot with drainage holes and the outer pot is dry inside.

I have floor to ceiling windows across the front of the flat, which are flooded with sunlight all day. There are two large window doors that open out.

Maybe I should put it on the windowsill; it will get it a lot of sunlight? It might be a shock for it though but don't think I can really do much more damage if it is clearly dying but would be nice to give it a go. I'll also cut it back a bit.

How often should it be watered?

Thanks again for your replies. Poor little plant...

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

The sun is not very strong nor very high here and I think the mint would be OK going straight out. Although we have to harden seedlings off it is to toughen them against the wind and cold rather than intense sun. I had never thought about this until I started visiting these Forums when I realised that in some places plants have to be hardened off against the sun.

Watering is not a question of regular timing but of taking your cue from the plant. Check the soil at depth. feel how heavy the pot is. Watch the leaves for loss of turgidity.

The problem with putting it in the window is that it will get a lot of light but will also get a lot of intense heat. If it really has to stay inside you'll have to find a compromise position for it. It needs the light but it doesn't need the heat.