Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs eating my basil plant

Posted by sandi149 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 9:38

I have some nice basil plants that seem to be the food for some type of bug....every morning when I go out on my terrace to water the basil, I see that the leaves have holes in them. I have seen this bug and it's a light green, looks sort of like a small grasshopper. I had read somewhere that making a mixture of garlic powder and water and spraying the leaves would get rid of the bug but so far no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to get rid of these creatures as they are ruining my lovely basil.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs eating my basil plant

The insect you saw could be a small grasshopper or it could be a katydid. Both of them feed on plants and both start out as very small individuals.

I've had good results using neem oil on my plants. It acts as an antifeedant for those pesky plant pests. It might not kill them outright, but does keep them from chowing down. Very little collateral damage to beneficial critters.

o

Get a 2 liter cola bottle, fill it with hot water, drop in 4 cloves of smashed garlic, put it in the hot summer sun and let it sit a week. Strain out the garlic but keep the water. Use a cup of garlic water and 3 cups water in your bug sprayer and spray the plants. That will get rid of the critters.

o

I had the same problem with my basil plants. I tried several methods involving insecticidal soap and even chili powder that did not help. One day I went out of town and put a bunch of potted plants around my basil (above soil) to make it easier for my neighbor to water my plants, solved the problem completely. I happened to have several papaya plants growing in milk jugs. I was out of town for a month, when I came back the basil was perfect.

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 16:37

If you choose neem oil it's best to keep your plants out of the sun for a while. So spraying around sunset is best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here