Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
inside basil, white bugs and sticky?

Posted by tinabanana (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 9:58

i keep fresh herb on my window sill all year long.
since i go thru so much basil i usually buy the plants from the grocery store and go thru it within 2-3 weeks.

ive had a bug infestation for many months now. and now its getting to be so much that i dont want to eat the basil anymore.

they are little tinny white bugs. when i 'shoo' them away they seem to fly for about 6 inchs and come right back.

i obviously dont want to spray pestasides on there. i have tried neem oil a few times but it doesnt seem to help.

i put all my plants outside for a day and shook them real well, that seem to have gotten rid of 80% of them. but now i checked the plant this morning and its all sticky and gross, what the heck? ive never seen that before. and i havent put neem on this plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: inside basil, white bugs and sticky?

You have described how 'whiteflies' behave, but I'd like you to do some research for comparison for an accurate ID. Whiteflies look like tiny, pure white moths and they come fluttering out at the slightest disturbance, only to flee back to the inside of the plant where they hide.

An infestation of whitefly would also explain the 'stickiness'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google whitefly images

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here