Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deafblossom

Mosquito Plant???

deafblossom
16 years ago

Do you use it for drinks, bake cakes, or jellies?? If you use them, please give me the receipt. I bought two big Mosquito plants today. It smells so nice and very strong lemon secent! Thank you, Kat

Comments (9)

• herboholic
    16 years ago

What's the name of this plant? Sounds wonderful. The lemon scent is what got me. :-)

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

A latin name would help since plants in various places can have the same common name.

This plant might not be edible. Plants with this common name are usually planted around a patio with the purpose of fending off Mosquitos with their citrusy scent.

• ladyisz
    16 years ago

I've seen these - my mom actually had one a couple years ago.

If it's the same thing she had, it's a lemon or citronella scented geranium.

I'm not sure if it's edible or not. :)

• deafblossom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just looked at the tag and said.. Tender perennial producing hairy, crinkled foliage that releases the refreshing scent of citronella. As it is clamied to repel pesky insects, plant by outdoor living areas and enjoy the unbothered peace and quiet. Makes an interesting border plant, especially when planted where fragrance can be appreciated. Wonderful in containers, too. Foliage can be in potpourri and to flavor desserts and teas. An excellent windowsill plant.
    I could not find the tag with latin name. I beleive it is citronello plant.. Yes.. it is edible! Kat

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

The true citronella plant is closely related to lemongrass, and looks much the same. It's Cymbopogon nardus.

Most lemon-scented plants will help repel mosquitoes. The one most commonly used for the purpose is the lemon-scented geranium, Pelargonium crispum minor). The leaves are edible, mainly used just to add a lemon flavour.

I really, really hate it when plants are sold with incorrect names. 'Mosquito Plant' or 'Citronella Geranium' indeed! Humph.

• lavenderforluck
    16 years ago

Here is what i found on it .. It is a geranium hybrid I have had these for a few years now i just bring them inside to winter and they are great at getting rid of spiders also that come inside in the colder months. Here is the link I hope it will let me put this link in here

The Mosquito Plant is a genetically engineered geranium hybrid with a unique characteristic:.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosquito Plant

• deafblossom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey DDW, Yeah I agree with you with...incorrect names! I have been surfing with google to learn more about my plant and found a good information.

Lav, Thank you for information about Mosquito Plant. I liked the webite. Thanks lots!

Try.. (www.jenefer.net/recipes.htm) It has a good information about recipes of Rose Geranium! Also.. I found my new plants named is Pelargonium "Grey Lady"!! I am so excitied.

Thank you so much for a good tips!
    Kat

• john69
    15 years ago

The Mosquito Plant is one of the most fragrant plants on the planet. Mine is getting a white powder at the base of the plant. Does anyone have advice?

Also, does anyone know about Betty Corning and/or Satsuma?

• jrichards40_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I bought one of these plants and put it in the center of my raised garden planter. I also put a tomato plant in close proximity to it. Both plants are thriving - BUT, there are a LOT of mosquitoes hanging about the plants. It seems they are attracted rather than repelled. I water the plants every day (very hot and humid in Georgia) but am confounded about why I have all the mosquitoes. Any guesses out there?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH