Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solusumbra

Honesty/Money plant Mustard

solusumbra
10 years ago

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but I have alot of Honesty/ Money plants growing in my yard and I was told I could make a mustard out of the seeds and am trying to find a recipe to do just that. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• florauk
    10 years ago

Can you post a picture just so we are sure we have the correct id to start with? Alliaria petiolata, garlic mustard, looks very similar to honesty. Could that be what you have? I would have thought that making mustard from honesty would be a real rigmarole bearing in mind the large seed pods with very few seeds in each that would need to be extracted.

• solusumbra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And indeed it has the large round seed pods. I can always take a picture of those if need be.

• florauk
    10 years ago

Right, so it is certainly honesty. Have you tasted the pods to see if they have a mustardy flavour? If you can be bothered to extract the seeds I imagine any method for making mustard would work.

• solusumbra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I have never made homemade mustard of any kind so this is a whole new area any advice?

• florauk
    10 years ago

Nor have I but I just Googled and got lots of hits. Here's one. But you might prefer to find a US recipe since canning methods are different there. There is a Harvest Forum here on Garden Web and there are bound to be people there who can help you. I still think extracting sufficient seeds from honesty will be a tall order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mustard

• seysonn
    10 years ago

At my my Nephew 's yard they have this plant(exact the same as in the picture above.) Last year they were collecting the leaves(for decorative use). Actually they are pods with seeds inside. The had almost one pound of seeds that they throw away. The plant is perennial , I think. It is also prolific by way of seeding.
    I will find out how it taste.

BTW: It is simple to make home made mustard; Just ground mustard seeds in your coffee mill and add water/white wine to it to make it to the consistency that you like. I buy white mustard powder from grocery store and make fresh every time that I need it. In Chinese restaurants they serve thin one as deep. Ever since I have discovered this, I will never again buy mustard paste, with so many additives. Now I will try Money plant seeds too.

• florauk
    10 years ago

Honesty is an annual or biennial, rather than perennial. To get a pound of seeds your nephew must have had acres of the stuff! The photo at the link shows how few seeds there are in each pod.

True mustard pods pop open and the seeds are released cleanly but I should imagine that with honesty there would be a lot of the pod debris with the seeds which would need to be cleaned out for preparing mustard. However, there's only one way to find out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honesty seeds.

• solusumbra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well my seed pods are not ready to pick yet, they still are not totally white. seysonn let me know how your mustard turns out.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

To get a pound of seeds your nephew must have had acres of the stuff

@ Flora,
    Maybe I exaggerated. b/c I did not weigh it (hehe)Maybe a quarter of a pond But it was in a small bow, almost half full. They had maybe 3 big plants, each 3 feet tall, loaded with pods.

• florauk
    10 years ago

Beautiful picture, seysonn! But it shows how few seeds there are per pod. And how much dried material would have to be winnowed out.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Thanks Flora. The seed are Not actually small and few either. They are bigger than radish seeds and hard. But anyway, it was nice to know that the money plant belongs to brassica family and the seeds are edible.

• chervil2
    10 years ago

Interesting! Does anyone use honesty as an edible in other ways besides mustard? I am interested in replies about personal experience instead of Googling. Thanks!