Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I save my basil?

Posted by asm198 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 11:28

Something is rapidly destroying my basil plant and I'm not sure what it is or how to kill it. I bought this as a plant and it's been planted for two weeks. Also, not sure if it matters, but we've had rain for the past 5 days.

This is what it looked like on Monday.

photo P1080299_zps1a844490.jpg

photo P1080300_zpsa4af8883.jpg

And what it looks like today.

photo P1080326_zpsfac66237.jpg

photo P1080343_zpsd240d6df.jpg

I didn't notice until I was reviewing the pictures, but I want to point out what looks to be a grasshopper in the last picture, next to the curled up brown leaf. Could that be what's eating my plant?

Also, am I overreacting here? I'm not new to gardening and realize that plants aren't going to stay pristine, but it's concerning to me that it's gone so downhill in 72 hours.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I save my basil?

It may be that the plant was not hardened off to being outside. Although it may have been cloudy and rainy, but probably the UV rays are still affecting it.

Also, as it was transplanted, you could also remove some leaves and branches. Fortunately, that means you get some use out of it for eating (other than the bad-looking leaves). Or you can try to root the cuttings and make additional basil plants.

o

I have to agree that it's most likely sun scorched. If it is, it will outgrow the damage soon.

Rodney

o

Agree, and the suggestion of clipping a couple cuttings is good. They root easily in a glass of water. You can plant them in potting soil, and keep in a sunny window, and just pluck off the leaves as you need them. I did that for my neighbor, and she thanks me daily! I water from the bottom on the inside plants. Actually outside too. Drip system.

o

I don't think the plant is ruined. I think some pests just picked at the leaves. you could still use them but wash well to make sure no more pests exist. soak well in water. I spray with murpjys soap. I could be wrong but it seems to work for me.

o

With the rapid downhill course, I wonder if it's downy mildew which is far different than powdery mildew.

o

Since it's been a couple of weeks, I wanted to give an update. My basil hasn't died and it seems that whatever had affected it hasn't spread to the entire plant. I ended up cutting off and discarded most of the affected leaves and sprinkled the remaining leaves with red pepper. I have no real reason for that, other than I assumed that anything that liked basil probably wouldn't care for red pepper. I also cut off one of the side branches to see if it would produce new leaves and it did, so I take that as a good sign.

I'm thinking Klovescats79 was probably correct about it being pests munching on the leaves and I was overreacting a bit. I've always had great success with all of my gardening attempts, except for herbs, basil in particular. It's always bolted really early or just shrivles up and dies before the leaves are big enough to bother harvesting. I'm hopeful that this plant will survive!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here