Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbs and Veggie Garden

Posted by moonwolf 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 11:53

Hi everyone,

Here are my herbs and vegetables in this year's garden. They are arranged from left to right.

Tomatoes and Basil (We always grow these types of tomatoes(Left to right: Sweet 100 and Early Girl). I grew basil before and it always did well.)
Photobucket

Bush Beans (First time growing these. They are Cherokee Wax and Pawnee Shell)
Photobucket

Chamomile, Boston Pickler Cucumber and Lemon Verbena (First time for the last two and chamomile is from reseeding. I put dill seeds beside the cucumber.)
Photobucket

Tarragon and Lemon Balm (I grew LB last year in a pot and it didn't come up so I got it again. First year for tarragon.)
Photobucket

Lavender 'Hidecote' with Sweet Alyssum (Transplanted this year. It's three years old.)
Photobucket

Lavender 'Munstead' (Transplanted this year, bought last year)
Photobucket

Spearmint (new this year)
Photobucket

Chamomile (reseeded from last year)
Photobucket

Bee Balm (two years old)
Photobucket

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbs and Veggie Garden

Thanks for sharing!

Since you have limited space, next year you may wish to try some pole beans instead of bush beans since they are very productive for a very small footprint in the garden. Give them a tall pole or two to grow on and they are happy. Except for "Dragon Tongue" and "Jade," all my favorite bean varieties are pole. There are many terrific heirloom varieties. Baker Creek and Seed Savers are some of my favorite places for heirloom seeds.

You may wish to get support for your tomatoes. It will keep them from sprawling into your lawn where you want to mow.

Gardening is fun and when you are talking herbs and veggies, so tasty and healthy too!

FataMorgana

o

I like your containers and ornaments! They are lovely.

o

Really enjoyed the pics of your garden items. I'm new to this and have question about when to harvest dill. I'm ready to can pickles and my dill is at the (I guess bloom stage); it's yellow and isn't dried. Can I use those dill heads like that to put in my jars or do I have to wait and use the dried seeds? I have canned forever, but haven't grown my own dill and don't know about this. Thanks for any help.

o

A long-time, regular poster (ksrogers) that used to be here commented often about canning and using dill. If you browse some of the back posts linked below, I'm sure you will find plenty of information.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Herbs Forum

o

thanks so much I will ck them out. txlady-2010

o

Also have a look over on the Harvest Forum - that's where the canning addicts live.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here