Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something is eating my Basil

Posted by cavs4us (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 05 at 12:15

Hi

I'm new to herbs. This is my fist year growing them and I love it. We live in SW Michigan and I have some Basil that is doing great, but something is eating on the leaves. It has small holes in some of the leaves. What should I do to get rid of the problem?

Also, should I use a fertlizer for my herbs or not. So far I have not. If so, what do you recommend.

Thanks.
Jeanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something is eating my Basil

Cucumber beetles eat holes in basil leaves, according to a wholesale herb grower whose talk I attended yesterday. There are no good organic remedies. They've left enough for me.

The highest quality herbs are grown in lean soils -- no fertilizer, not a lot of water. Too much of either, and they'll die. A little too much, and the herb flavors will not be as strong.

o

The only herbs I fertilize are basil and parsley, and I use a half-strength fish emulsion solution. Be careful not to under-water your basil though--it turns bitter and very strong-flavored when drought stressed, and never again produces tender sweet leaves!

o

I have had Japanese Beetles on mine recently. Not many, but they can do some serious damage quickly.

o

HI Jeanie - I'm goig to guess Japanese Beetles also. They just emerged here in Ohio last week and I lost two basil plants before I knew what was going on. Luckily I still have lots more. They are most active mid-day. They have a metallic green appearance.

Good Luck!
-Lisa

o

Earwig nymphs were having a hayday on mine....

Vera

o

Holes in leaves would more likely be:
- Slugs
- Snails
- Grasshoppers
In 5 years of growing basil commercially I have never experienced flea beetles in my basil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here