Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spots on herbs - pls help - pics

Posted by sherinyc NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 07 at 12:17

I posted a while back about spots on my mint. It has gotten much worse. There are little dots stuck to the bottom of the leaves. Eggs of some sort??

The mint has it really bad but some other herbs are beginning to get brown spots. Lemon balm:

Basil:

I fear it is too late for the mint, it is looking pretty bad. But what can I do to save everything else?? I have a two-year-old daughter so I only want to use organic/non-toxic solutions. This is on a fourth-floor balcony but I guess we still get bugs up here.

Thanks!
Sheri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spots on herbs - pls help - pics

Sheri: take your big scissors and totally cut off the mint to an inch or so above the ground. Totally remove these clippings from your environment... as in put carefully in bag and seal in the garbage bin. In a couple of weeks you'll have lovely fresh mint leaves to use. I do this several times each summer just so I have newer leaves.

The top pics are of bugs. The bottom ones appear to be sunscald... maybe where some water was on them when they got full sun.

o

Thanks so much. I do indeed water in full sun and I was not aware of sun scald. I'm relieved that the other plants don't have bugs.

The bug problem on the mint is worst on the lowest leaves. So when I cut it back, I will be cutting off all of the growth and just leaving some stems sticking out of the soil. Is that ok? And when it grows back won't it just get bugs again?

This is the second year that my mint--and my mint alone--has been ravaged by bugs. I have chocolate mint in the same box (oh did I mention I have other herbs crowded into the same box) that is very healthy. Is there another type of mint that tastes like regular mint but is more bug-resistant? This is spearmint, should I try peppermint?

Thanks again,
Sheri

o

Avoid watering or spraying leaves in full sun, unless its a foliar fertilizer spray. The purple color on basil is quite normal for some strains. The mint bugs can be controlled early on, by spraying them with neem oil, but snipping off as much of the infected leaves will help some too. A follow up on neem sprays will help keep pests down a bit.

o

these spots have appeared n my mint plant and they almost become brown edged holes...like they burnt out..shud I cut out those parts or can i wash with soapy solution?

Thanks,
P-

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of mint plant

o

Mints like cool partial sunny location, water, sandy well
drained soil to thrive and be tender.
For disease control there are safe organic sprays. I use NEEM oil spray for all my garden veggies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here