Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smkymtn1drer

I need help harvesting 6' catnip.

smkymtn1drer
12 years ago

I've dried herbs before, just never on this scale. I am daunted by these two huge bunches. I usually use paper bags to dry things, but I'd need a mountain of them. I have found that my cat is one who is indifferent to the stuff, so I guess I'll be giving it away, or selling if possible. And I don't want it next year. I'm thinking clip to the ground and hang the long bunches from the limbs of a heavy-shade tree...? There are other cats around, and they haven't bothered it in the garden. Maybe it's no good...? Here's a pic of one bunch:

Here is a link that might be useful: More photos

Comments (6)

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Catnip makes a nice tea as well as having quite an effect on cats.

As long as it is warm and dry enough, catnip left on large stems even dries well. I personally to not hang any herbs I harvest. I dry them on screens. I cover the screens with paper toweling so that I can use the same screens for various herbs without having herbs cross-containment one another since I do harvest many medicinal herbs and not all are very friendly. If screens are not an option, perhaps a single layer on something dry and porous like clean cardboard would work. I have dried the little odd bits on paper towels set on the counter top and plant presses use paper blotters so I would imagine cardboard should function well as a drying surface.

My outdoor and quite feral cat only bothers the dry or mostly dry bits of catnip I drop from harvesting. The fresh green plants hold little interest for her.

FataMorgana

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

English is my first language, really. I meant to say "cross-contaminate" not cross-containment. "Cross containment" sounds like something you would do to a triffid not an herb!

FataMorgana

• noinwi
    12 years ago

I will cut several long branches, use a rubber band to secure the end of the bunch and hang them as high up as possible out of the reach of my furry brats(they like it fresh or dried) where there is good air circulation. When it is crispy dry I strip the leaves into a jar and toss the stems on the ground or floor for the cats to play with.
    If you really don't want to grow it anymore, pull the whole plant up, shake off the soil and hang it upside down in a shed or garage. You'll want to do this before it flowers and goes to seed if possible to cut down on volunteers in subsequent seasons. When it's dry, harvest the leaves and make catnip toys for your friends' cats and keep some in a jar for tea. I always take a little baggie of it when we visit the grandkids. They love watching their cat get silly on the stuff(and their cat loves us for it,lol).

• smkymtn1drer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, FataMorgana and noinwi, for sharing your knowledge! I haven't the horizontal space nor materials for your advanced method, FataMorgana, so I'll be hanging them. I'm delighted there's still a chance my cat will enjoy it! Now, if it just would quit drizzling long enough in the mornings....

I wish I could enjoy tea, catnip or otherwise. I feel that tea drinkers are somehow superior. ;) I have tried.

Best of all, thanks for the introduction to the triffid, FataMorgana!

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

We just got a good rain after a dry June and I swear I have triffids instead of normal old weeds out there today. Bunch of big 'ol things that look like they could take over the world! Maybe I should get my battle axe out before going and pulling some weeds.... :)

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - Triffids

• smkymtn1drer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Strange season here, too. It was drought-dry April and May --June has brought daily hard rains. I keep checking myself for mold. Yes, your battle axe, by all means, but don't forget the salt water!