Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haseo333

Camelia Sinensis

Haseo333
9 years ago

I am not sure if this is the right place, but I am growing a tea plant indoors, and I can't find any good information on how to take care of it. Please help? Watering, light, and other care tips are needed.

Comments (5)

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It is a tree/shrub. That means a couple of things to me: usually full sun & excellent draining soil. I don't believe you have either of those happening. It will need extra lighting and a growing medium that is much closer to a bonsai medium than the potting soil you appear to be using. You should look up if there are other requirements like acid in the soil, specific nutritional needs, etc.

FataMorgana

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Being a Camellia tea plants need acidic soil. They also need plenty of moisture.

Lots of info if you Google.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Camellia sinensis

• Daisyduckworth
    9 years ago

(Camellia sinensis, Family: Theaceae)
    Description: As a cultivated evergreen plant, tea is usually trimmed to below 2 metres in height. However, if left to grow wild, the bush can reach 10 metres. Strong taproot. Leaves alternate, lanceolate to obovate, up to 30 (usually 4-15) cm long. Flowers, which appear in winter, are aromatic, white or pinkish, with 1-3 seeds in each lobe.

Cultivation: Soak seed in warm water for 24 hours before sowing or gently rub a hole through the seed coat with sandstone or sand paper. The seed coat is fragile, so take care not to crush the seed during the process. The seeds are about the size and shape of hazelnuts. Hollow seeds and low germination percentages are common occurrences. Seeds remain viable for one year. Plant 1cm deep in warm soil and keep moist until germination. Typical germination period is 6 to 8 weeks. Plant requires 4-12 years to bear seed. At first, seedlings should be shaded. Seedlings 6-12 months old may be outplanted with a ball of earth, while much older seedlings can be planted bare-rooted. Cuttings from the stem, taken 10cm from the ground from winter through to summer, can be inserted in the soil at an angle so that the subtending leaf rests on the medium. Rooting is slow and bottom heat is recommended. Needs full sun to part shade. They prefer a well drained, soil rich in organic matter, pH 4.5- 5.5. The root hairs are very fine, so the plant cannot be allowed to dry out completely. Increase watering when the plant is actively growing and when the plant is in bloom. Fertilise every 2-3 weeks in spring through to autumn. Use a fertiliser for acid loving plants diluted to half the strength recommended on the label. Prune directly after flowering. Repot every 2-4 years in late winter or early spring. Plant is frost hardy to �"6°C. Once established, mulch heavily.

Part(s) Used: Leaves, flowers.

Harvesting: Terminal sprouts with 2-3 leaves are usually hand-plucked, usually every 7-15 days, depending on the development of the tender shoots. Leaves that are slow in development always make a better flavoured product. Green, Oolong and black (‘normal’) tea are all made from the leaves of the same plant. Green tea leaves are allowed to wither in hot air and then pan-fried to halt the oxidation (fermentation) processes. The leaves of Oolong tea are wilted in sunlight, bruised and allowed to partially oxidise, until reddening of the leaf edges occurs. Black teas leaves are fermented in cool, humid rooms, until the entire leaf is darkened. Freshly picked leaves are spread very thinly and evenly on trays and placed in the sun until the leaves become very flaccid, requiring 13 hours or more, depending on heat and humidity. Other types of black teas are made by withering the leaves, rolling them into a ball and allowing to ferment in a damp place for 3-6 hours, at which time the ball turns a yellowish copper color, with an agreeable fruity tone. If this stage goes too far, the leaves become sour and unfit for tea. After fermenting, the ball is broken up and the leaves spread out on trays and dried in oven until leaves are brittle and have slight odour of tea. As soon as harvested, leaves are steamed or heated to dry the natural sap and prevent oxidation to produce green tea. Still soft and pliable after the initial treatment, the leaves are then rolled and subjected to further firing. For white tea, leaves are picked and harvested before the leaves open fully, when the buds are still covered by fine white hair. They are then dried.

• gvozdika
    9 years ago

It needs well-drained soil if grown in a pot (this is very important). It might not like strong afternoon sunlight, morning/evening sun is better.
    Camellia has a tap root that can be pinched off (the tip of it) when transplanted, otherwise it will grow into a spiral at the bottom of the pot.
    Good luck!

This post was edited by gvozdika on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 0:08

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

daisyduckworth! Long time no see. I often think of you when I'm on this Forum and wonder how, even if ?? :( , you're doing. I was getting a bit worried there. Good to hear from you again.