Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First-time gardener attempting to grow herbs on my patio!

Posted by prettydarkeyes none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 12:56

I have no plants in my home due to kitty, and no green thumb!

I planted seeds for basil, parsley and mint, and have seedlings that are now 2" high.

I know they need to be transplanted but what size pot, how much soil?

I have some dill seeds which I'd like to plant, do I need to put in a small container first until it grows to seedling size (2") or can I just plant it in a full-size pot?

Thanks for all and any responses!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First-time gardener attempting to grow herbs on my patio!

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 9:32

What zone are you in? In mine, I'd transplant directly to the final destination and protect them for a couple of days. All of these can also be direct seeded as well. I grow them in 5-7 gallon pots, for a number of reasons. You can just as easily grow them in smaller containers as long as you water and repot each year.

jan

This post was edited by jll0306 on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 9:39

o

Thank you! I don't know what zone I'm in (probably the Twilight Zone) but I do live in a suburb of NYC.

o

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 9:43

My true USDA hardiness zone/growing zone is 8a. (I was suffering ZDD Zone Denial Disorder when I created my profile). This means i am transplant safe for 5 months, as we are far past my potential last frost date. You probably are, too, but a google search will tell you for sure.

But fresh transplants need also need to be protected from direct sun for a day or so.

Jan

o

Another thing to consider when patio growing is the 'heat sink' effect--how much extra hot may be coming from all the concrete, brick, etc?

I have a townhome with a small enclosed backyard. The homes are brick, and I can get away with planting my basil a month earlier in containers next to the brick wall than I can out in my garden area. But, then, I have to move them when the heat sets in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here